11 Best Tips For Acing Your Internship Interview

11 Best Tips For Acing Your  Internship Interview

'Tis the season for summer internship interviews...

11

As the Fall semester continues to fly by, anxieties about obtaining the perfect summer internship are on the rise and employers are suited up to interview some of the most qualified college students across the country. But don't worry, you can stand out from the rest if you're more prepared.

Here are the best ways to make sure you make a killer first impression:

1. Know what position you're interviewing for. 

This might sound obvious, but you'd be surprised with how many people aren't 100% knowledgable about the position they're interviewing for and what it entails exactly. Know more than the title of the position, that is.

2. Research the company extensively. 

Who they are, what they do, what they value, and beyond.

These are all things an interviewer would be impressed to hear you speak eloquently about.

3. Write a list of questions you want to ask.

Although you may be there to answer their questions above all, interviewers also want you to show that your interest in getting to know more about their company and its goals. Ask about things they value, things that concern you, and more.

4. Organize of list of what makes you qualified for the position.

It's pretty common for interviewers to want to know why you believe to be a good fit for the position, so definitely think about this beforehand. What makes you qualified? What's your experience like? Why would you be a valuable addition to their team?

5. Think about your strengths and weaknesses.

After all, nobody is perfect (that means you)!

Consider things you want to improve upon, maybe it's a particular skill that you believe this company could help you develop.

6. Find out what's typical for an interview in the company's industry. 

If you haven't come to the conclusion that Google is your best friend in this process by now, then you probably haven't been paying attention. It's not a secret that common interview questions for certain types of companies flood the internet. Don't shy away from checking them out, but definitely do not depend on them.

Use them as a guide.

7. Make sure you have a professional outfit. 

Dress to impress!

8. Prepare to bring a copy of your resume. 

It's likely that the person or group of people that interviews you will want a copy of your resume to refer to after the interview or even to ask about during the interview. Bring some extra copies and make sure your resume is as clean and up to date as possible.

9. Practice. 

It might feel weird at first, but anticipate some questions and practice answering them out loud. Ask your friend to role-play the interview with you or just practice answering in the mirror. With that being said, don't memorize what you've practiced verbatim...we're humans, not computers.

10. Stress your long-term goals. 

More often than not, companies look to hire interns that can see themselves working in their specialized field in the long-run. Many times, summer internships lead to full-time offers if an intern performs well.

11. Make it clear that the position is important to you. 

Whether or not the internship is your top choice, you want to show the interviewer that you value the position. Confidence is key.