12 Tips On How To Get Into The Disney College Program

Peace out, I'm going to Disney World next semester.

2948
https://unsplash.com/photos/l2T9cWjH9cY

I still can't believe it, me, an average college student from Rhode Island got accepted into the Disney College Program. Never in a million years would I think that I would actually get in, and on the first try too. I applied on September 2, at 10:30 at night, had my web-based interview that night and then scheduled my phone interview for the afternoon of September 7, and 6 days later on the 13, I got accepted!! It can be stressful, both applying and the interview stage. But it's a risk worth trying. You won't know if you'll get in until you try. So, if you want to give it a go like I did, follow these 12 tips on how to get into the Disney College (and on the first try, too!)

1. Update your resume.

You want to make sure your resume is updated because during the phone interview, you're going to be asked about your previous job experiences.

2. Research all the possible roles BEFORE you put down that you're interested in them.

Did you guys know that character performers have to audition for that role, and the closest audition might be a few hours away from you. I know the closest audition to me was 4 hours away in New York.

3. Put down that you're interested in as many roles as possible.

The more roles that you're willing to do the greater chance you have to be accepted. But let's be honest, what role wouldn't you be interested in?

4. Know what location you want to work at.

Disney Land or Disney World. I put down both but I was more interested in Disney World.

5. Be confident during the web-based interview.

Yes, even in the web-based interview, you want to be confident. So when you get asked if you're a responsible person, don't just put agree, put strongly agree. You'll have a better chance on moving to the phone interview.

6. Prepare for the phone interview.

Look at the list of possible questions that you might get asked and practice answering them. I did and I even wrote my answers down and had them in front of me during my phone interview, like a little cheat sheet. (I got this tip from a girl that I graduated high school with that's currently in the Disney College Program herself.)

7. Read and understand all the rules that you're going to have to follow.

For example, if you have tattoos, you need to cover them. Also, fun fact, you can only have the first hole of your ear pierced. For me, I was well aware before I had my phone interview that I was going to have to take out a couple of my piercings.

8. Write down your interviewer's name.

You want to thank them personally for taking their time to speak with you. I had the sweetest lady ever, and her name was Linda.

9.  During your phone interview, act as though you were having an in-person interview.

Don't forget to SMILE, no one wants to hire somebody who doesn't smile. Also, be prepared with all your papers, you don't want the person interviewing you to hear you shuffling through papers, it'll seem like you're unorganized.

10. Don't be too nervous.

Being nervous is expected during any interview but remember you're on the phone for 15-20 minutes with this person, you don't want to be nervous the entire time. Breathe and relax!! I was shaking during the first couple of minutes because I didn't want to mess anything up but by the end of my 20 minutes, I was laughing and having a great time.

11. Be yourself and have fun.

Theres nothing better than you being yourself, you don't want to act like something you're not. Remember Disney wants YOU not some other person, but YOU. The entire point of Walt Disney World is to have fun, if you're not having fun on your interview how are you going to have fun working there?

12. Ask a question at the end of your interview.

I asked, "What Disney character would you most describe yourself as and why?" and it took a little bit for my interviewer to answer the question because she said that she had never been asked that before and that it was a really good question to be asked because got her to think. Then we started talking about Rapunzel for a minute to two.

I hope this helps anyone who applies to the Disney College Program, whether it's for the first time or not. But I'm forever grateful and thankful that I get to participate in such an incredible life-changing, and resume-enhancing experience. Countdown to DCP begins now!!