What are tips to help me unpack after college?

3 Ways to Help You Declutter After Moving Back Home

Moving back home is stressful as you have to up your whole life into a few boxes and drive it back home. To help make it less stressful, I follow these few tips to help me unpack and declutter once I get back home so I can start enjoying summer!

57
Megan Benson

Moving back home is stressful as you have to up your whole life into a few boxes and drive it back home. Then to make it more stressful you have to find a space for all the stuff you bring home, which isn't easy, especially for me because I always seem to come home with more than I brought to school in the first place. Because its summer, all you want to do is be outside and hang out with the people you haven't seen since your last school break, so the last thing you want to do is have to unpack and find a spot for everything. To help make it less stressful, I follow these few tips to help me unpack and declutter once I get back home so I can start enjoying summer! If you're like me, and you still have a few piles of things in your corner that you're saving for the next school year, these tips will definitely be helpful.

1. Start unpacking right away

Once you move back home, life gets busy as you catch up with friends and family. If you don't unpack right away all of your clutter from living at home will mix with your stuff from school and it will be an even bigger mess to clean, and none one wants to start off summer with a big mess. If you unpack all your school items soon after you get home, you can live at home with ease as you won't feel stressed with all the unpacking you have as you start your summer and summer job, and instead, you can enjoy the sunshine.

2. Go through your closet with guidelines

Coming home with a packed school closet full of clothes to your home closet full of clothes isn't an easy task as it's pretty overwhelming. To help me go through my closet and dressers when I get home, I give away the clothes I haven't worn in the past month or 2. If I haven't worn it within that time frame, I most likely won't pick it out of my closet now. (Keeping in mind the weather situation of course.) Then these pieces are out of my closet and they will go to someone who needs them.

3. Invest in some good storage boxes

You aren't going to need to use everything you had in your dorm or apartment at school when you're home. For example, the cookware you brought, decorations, Twin XL size bedding, and more, aren't needed when you're at home. Getting nice bins to store the things you won't use while you're at home, will not only help you declutter after moving home but help you to be more organized for when you start to pack up for going back to school at the end of summer. It's a win-win, you get the things you don't need out of your way and get a head start on packing for the next move back to school.

Hopefully these tips are helpful to help you get organized and all ready for summer after moving back home!