My Thoughts On Tattoos In Society

My Thoughts On Tattoos In Society

Self expression is very much accepted in society, however, tattoos still undergo great scrutiny in various fashions within society.

1257
My Thoughts On Tattoos In Society
Piercing Models

Society is becoming one of self expression and self confidence, especially among the younger generations. People now a days are becoming less afraid to express themselves, through writing, music, drawing, and so much more. However, when it comes to putting ink on the body the criticism is an ultimate high. Why is that?

I chose to get a tattoo and I faced many forms of criticism, some of which I greatly enjoyed and others I enjoyed less. I love my tattoo and I showed it to anyone who would want to see it and each time a person reacted differently.

My mother went crazy, she hates my tattoo and claims I ruined my body. My dad just simply nodded. My sister and her friends went crazy over it, they loved it and wanted to touch it to feel if my skin had changed. The rest of my family enjoyed it on different levels. My grandma was surprisingly okay with it, I expected her to be just as silly as my mother. My grandpa doesn't like that it exists. My aunt and uncle both love it, along with my cousins. All of my family were curious as to its meaning, to which I replied, "Strength", and they were satisfied by that.

Disliking and liking something about a noun of any sorts is common and expected of society, but the meaning behind it is required for this decision to be made. My family didn't require this from me, but what if they did? If I had gotten a tattoo that was of no meaning, would their opinions change? If I described my desire to have a tattoo even though it was just a simple line, would that satisfy them?

What about the rest of society? Not everyone would accept what I have done to my body because it doesn't mean something, it is unprofessional, it is unnatural, and it has a terrible stereotype. I have a few words to say about these most commonly known misconceptions.

The meaning of every work of art is meant to be interpreted differently unless plainly stated. AP English class was difficult for me because of said fact. I thought of each poem differently and I always had trouble getting out of my head. My boyfriend will send me his art work and ask what it means to me and I text or call him with a whole monologue about it. Then, he'll ask me what I think it means to him. I've known him long enough to find the meaning but I don't always get it 100% correct. I do not know the authors in literature, I do not know the painters, the sculptures, musicians, etc and they do not know me. So, if the tattoo I wear doesn't have a meaning to you then it may have one to me and vice versus. There is no line between interpretation, the sky is the limit.

Tattoos being unprofessional is another thing I hear all of the time, especially since I am going into psychology and professionalism is a highly required trait. My tattoos cannot be seen by any one while I work because my job is supposed to make me sophisticated. However, I have always disliked counselors because I see that I cannot relate to them and they cannot relate to me. The fact I have a tattoo may actually bind us together in the future and make therapy sessions easier. I do not believe tattoos to be professional but I do believe that tattoos can link people together one a different level. Before entering a job, a scrutinized tattoo should be questioned and not completely cast away.

Finally, a tattoo being unnatural is true. People are not born with tattoos on their body but it is not an unnatural act to get them. Cultures all around ink their skin for numerous reasons. It is a natural act of tattooing and it doesn't make someone go under a stereotype. My mother actually asked me if I was going to drop out of college and join a biker gang because I inked my body. Self expression is oneself, if more people see it then that person wants them self to be heard by others. Self expression doesn't mean stereotype and neither does tattooing, clothing style, grades, skin tone, hair color, etc.

Self expression is a beautiful thing and so are tattoos. We need to grow in self expression in a healthy fashion and cast away stereotypes. We will grow as a society and many will have tattoos.