What is really the driving force behind the character Lily?
Friendships

What Is The movie 'Thoroughbreds' really about?

This movie has really got the gears in my head turning.

463
https://youtu.be/TPcV_3D3V2A

Last night my boyfriend and I rented the movie Thoroughbreds from Redbox. It's one of the movies that was on our list to watch in theaters, but we didn't get the chance.

There will be spoilers, Just forewarning you!

This movie takes a look into the life of wealthy teenagers. Two of them in particular, Lily and Amanda. Amanda could be described as anti-social and having no feelings. She makes people feel uncomfortable. Then, there is Lily. Lily is what they consider to be of a good stock. She has a lot of pressure to do well, and she hangs out with the popular kids her age.

When you see the characters together for the first time, it's awkward, and you can tell that the two of them had maybe at one point in time been friends but now the two are estranged from each other. They are both from wealthy families, but the two couldn't be more different.

Lily has a new step-dad after her father was killed, pay close attention to that because it's relevant. She doesn't like him and doesn't understand him. Mark, the step-dad, is trying to do what's right for her.

Amanda figures out that Lily really hates her step-dad and jokingly says "Why not just kill him?" Lily acts appalled by the thought, and the conversation quickly moves to something else.

Lily rethinks the idea and presents it to Amanda later. Lily wants Mark dead, but she doesn't want to do it herself. After giving the plan some thought the girls decide to hire a hitman, Tim. That doesn't work out as planned and again the Lily has to go back to the drawing board.

By the end of the movie, Lily is dead set on killing her step-father even if she has to be the one to do it. This is where things get interesting and I start to question her motives. I think the whole time she's been rebuilding her relationship with Amanda that she was plotting for a set-up.

Let's dig into this. Lily's father was killed, but she didn't say how. Usually, when someone says that a person was killed they tend to give more context like killed by cancer or my brother killed her was killed in car accident. Lily is very careful not to reveal how her father had been killed.

So, did Lily murder her biological father and is using the fact that she doesn't like her step-father for another excuse to kill? Has she gotten a taste for murder? Is framing her friend, or so-called friend her plan?

This movie makes you think. There is no reason for Mark to die. Maybe Lily resents him for taking the place of her father. Or maybe Lily doesn't want men in her life unless she can be the one to control them. I'm not sure. This movie has got the gears in my head turning, and I want to know more.

What is the driving force behind the character Lily?