7 Things You Know To Be True If You Come From A Large Family

The bigger the family, the bigger the heart

3
Kaitlyn Glenn

I come from a very large family. I only have one sister, and my dad's side of the family is not that big. But, my mother has four sisters and one brother which means I have a boat load of aunts, uncles, and cousins. I am the seventeenth of my grandmother's eighteen grandchildren, and most of my older cousins are married with children. That brings the tally to six children, eighteen grandchildren, twenty-four great-grandchildren, and two great-great-grandchildren. We are a very tight knit clan, and we often do things together and get together for holidays. Like all big families, certain characteristics always hold true. Here are seven of those things that will never change.

1. You have lots of brothers, sisters, and friends

Since our parents were all so close, we all grew up together. That meant we were all like brothers and sisters, and my cousins are some of my best friends. We are always there for each other to celebrate the good times and support each other in the tough times.

2. You also have multiple sets of parents

My aunts and uncles were always like parents to me. They helped raise me and took care of me when my parents had to work or run errands. They are always there to offer advice and support me.

3. If you don't want to lose your seat, don't get up

At family gatherings, because there are so many of us, seats are hard to come by. If you vacate yours, do not be surprised to find it occupied when you come back.

4. Family gatherings will be loud

With a large crowd and many voices, gatherings will always be loud, especially with my family. I come from a family of loud talkers, and when they get together, they get even louder in order to be heard over everyone else. Sometimes, it's even hard to hear yourself think.

5. The older children are designated babysitters

When you have a big family, parents have many babysitters to choose from. Chances are, there is always a cousin, niece, or nephew to watch your children for a few hours if you have to go somewhere and can't take them with you. On holidays, the older children always end up occupying the younger ones while the adults talk. I have spent many Easters, Thanksgivings, and Christmases playing outside with my younger cousins and sister.

6. Traditions are sacred

Traditions, such as coming together on holidays, shall always be observed. If you do not attend, no matter how large the group is, it will be noticed that you are not there, and your immediate family will be asked a million times where you are.

7. If you mess with one, you mess with all of us

Being from a tight knit family means you know that they always have your back. Don't you dare badmouth one of us to another because we will not stand for it and will let you know.