The Struggles Of A Third Culture Kid

The Struggles Of A Third Culture Kid

And why it's the best thing that has ever happened to me.

134
The Struggles Of A Third Culture Kid
Tatiana Lopez

Third Culture Kid: "Children raised in a culture other than their parents and are exposed to a greater variety of cultural influences'"

I never know how to respond to the "where are you from" question. Sometimes I say I am from the country where I was born and there are other times when I say I am from the country where I was raised. However, I always end up having to explain my entire life story.

It's so weird to hear my college friends say "I can't wait to go back home and see my friends and family." For them, their home has always been the same one, where their high school friends and relatives live. For me, it has never been the same place. After I graduated from high school, my parents moved again, so I now spend my summers in a place where I don't know a lot of people.

Sometimes I struggle with my cultural identity. I feel like I don't truly belong anywhere and it seems like I'll always be the outsider or the foreigner. However, I have learned to embrace my cultural background and appreciate all the good things it has given me.

Living in different places taught me to view things from multiple perspectives. I had to open myself and interact with individuals in order to adapt to the new environments. I think this is one of the reasons why I am so passionate about other cultures and diversity in general. I definitely feel like I am an open minded person because I am always eager to interact with those who come from another culture.

I am incredibly blessed because I have friends all over the world. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for all the things I experienced throughout my life and I am so grateful things turned out the way they did because I am really happy where I am right now.

There were good times and bad times, but I wouldn't change any of them because they all helped me grow as a person. I always try to remind myself of all the positive things every country gave me.

I have only been in college for two years and the U.S. is unlike any other country I have lived in before. This year I promised myself I would participate in all kinds of "traditional" American activities because I know my journey is not over. There are still so many things to learn and see and I can't wait to experience everything the future will bring.