The Met Gala is more than costumes and a theme.

The Significance Of The Met Gala

What I take away from this event and what it means to me.

396
The Significance Of The Met Gala
Photo by Samuel Zeller on Unsplash

As a young woman finally coming into her own in the sense of personal fashion, it can be a bit overwhelming to keep up. I always knew about the Met Gala but never understood what it was for and what the significance was in the name of fashion. The Met Gala is a fundraiser for the Metropolitan Museum of Art's Costume Institute in New York. It is an invite-only exclusive event that will cost each attendee $35,000 a head. It's kind of big deal.

The significance of the Met Gala, to me, is the reinvention and imagination of our fashion culture all categorized by a theme, a keyword. This shows me that creativity is a personal thing, all ideas are good ideas. You might not like someones look on the carpet, but that is their truth for what the theme means to them and how they wanted to show the world what they are capable of. I appreciate the craftsmanship and the hard work that goes into every single custom made piece that walks the carpet into that museum.

It reminds me to be creative. I feel empowered to reinvent myself or be creative with my look. The possibilities are endless, and even if you categorize your fashion sense and look into one single category, your interpretation can be unique. It reminds me to not to take things so seriously, take risks, appreciate the art of clothing and style.

I love the Met Gala because it empowers me to do more for myself and really speak through my clothing. If you love what you wear, you'll be more confident, and confidence is everything. It reminds me to pursue my dreams and work hard, seeing all of my favorite celebrities coming together from all walks of life to celebrate art, is inspiring to me. The creativity of it all is inspiring and so much fun. I look forward to it every year to make me feel refreshed, right after finals and all and help me remember that fashion is fun and I should never take myself too seriously.