The Presidential Dilemma

The Presidential Dilemma

Why I try not to get involved in presidential politics

10
The Presidential Dilemma
todayifoundout

Summer is here and within a couple months the presidential election shall be upon us. Soon, if not already, the T.V. will be packed with political commercials and everyday conversations will be heard discussing the future of the United States.

Politics is a touchy subject and one subject that I rarely like to delve in, yet the 2016 presidential election is, as of right now, one of the most important events that is going to happen in the United States.

There are many reasons why I don't like to get involved with this subject and one of the main reasons is just that it's hard to follow. Politics consists of people expressing opinions about they think is best for our country and why we should allow them to become president. They argue (over anything and everything)... and in the most boring fashion ever; with long, political debates and rallies where the candidate speaks about their plan. This is a problem for me.

Another reason why I am not one to indulge in the mating ritual of the next United States's four year relationship is that it's hard to find a candidate that has all of the same beliefs and view points as me. One candidate may have all of the right opinions on taxes and spending issues but completely lose you when they speak about how they believe certain women's issues should be handled, primarily abortion and equal pay.

Talking about who you are going to vote for can also affect friendships. I have known friends to get in huge and sometimes tedious arguments about presidential candidates, causing a rift in their relationship. And this bugs me, politics is super important when discussing our future, but if friends can't agree and end up tearing apart from each other then it is just sad.

The discussion of the next president can also affect the economy. Riots break out if people dislike a certain candidate, strikes occur if a candidates upsets a certain group, and the new policies of each president affects both the stability and our financial needs in society.

Not enough attention is being brought to the environment and it's problems. There is global climate change. There is global warming. And there is evidence by NASA to support this. And the reason why candidates don't do anything about it is because there have always (since the beginning of time) been climate fluctuations, but these changes are very alarming and something must be done to help prevent the possible disastrous outcome. Politics does not seem to cover these topics.

One thing that frustrates me the most and constantly presses me to actually get involved, though, is when a political candidate believes that they know what's best for a group of people they have no connection with. This occurs all the time between what they believe is best for certain race issues, work place problems, planned parent hood, and economical crisis'. They believe they know what they are talking about but in all honesty they just don't and pretend they do.

Even though I may not like all the drama of presidential elections, I still do my civic duty and vote. Actually, I was able to vote for the first time in April and let me tell you how awesome that felt. I was finally able to use my new adult status and feel that I could do something and make a change in this country.

Politics is an important aspect of our society; it brings people together, it tears people apart, it can begin a revolution, and it can be the end a leader. So I try to stay up to speed on the current candidates and their opinions on important issues, but because of a lot of false advertising and conflicting opinions, there are these reasons why I try not to discuss this. In the end, I just vote for myself and in what I believe would be the best without getting into pointless arguments and conversations with others.

In the end, politics can go any which way it pleases and cover all types of topics. It greatly affects everyone's everyday lives and we must be careful with how we indulge in such practices.