The Most Horrifying Thing About The Gilmore Girls Revival

Why is nobody talking about this?

826

I am just like every other girl between the ages of 15 and 50 who was basically jumping out of their skin to watch the "Gilmore Girls: A Year In The Life" revival.

I went home for Thanksgiving, just like always, but there was an added layer of excitement that had nothing to do with the turkey or the fact that the Christmas season was about to begin. No, the "Gilmore Girls" revival was coming out on Friday, and my mom and I were going to watch it.

We planned to watch it Friday evening, so all day Friday, I avoided Facebook, Twitter and even Snapchat in an effort to have nothing spoiled for me.

I had heard all of the pre-show fan theories, read up on anything I might've somehow missed in previous seasons, and hoped to God that Rory wasn't going to end up with Dean.

Sorry, but once a cheater always a cheater. Just saying.

We ate our dinners way too fast, and then we sat down and hit the play button. As soon as we saw Stars Hollow, Lorelai, snow and Rory, we totally lost our minds. I don't think most people who never watched "Gilmore Girls" fully comprehend what the show means to us. We were both crying as soon as we heard "I smell snow."

And, overall, I can't say I'm disappointed with the show, Stars Hollow musical considered. I liked it a lot.

[SPOILER ALERT]

But there was one thing that just absolutely horrified me. And surprisingly, it wasn't the fact that Rory was pregnant.

It was the fact that Rory moved back to Stars Hollow.

Rory Gilmore, shining star and valedictorian of her class at the prestigious Chilton Academy, editor of the Yale Daily News, who could've had her pick of schools and decided to become graduate of Yale University (WITH HONORS), was, despite her many arguments, BACK. Living in Stars Hollow with her mother.

Her Ivy League diploma and article in The New Yorker apparently couldn't save her from unemployment, but now she's editor of The Stars Hollow Gazette. Honestly.

And don't even get me STARTED on the thirty-something gang.

And no matter how many times I remind myself that Rory is a fictional character and that she kind of asked for it when she assumed she would get all kinds of jobs just for being Rory Gilmore, it's clear that Amy Sherman-Palladino is making a statement about the difficulty college graduates are having finding jobs. I imagine this is easy to do after creating a ridiculously successful show with your husband.

But the statement she's making is freaking scary. It boggles my mind that all these articles are talking about Rory being pregnant and following the same path as her mother. Are we suddenly content to be living in our childhood rooms again so long as we're not pregnant?!

At least Lorelai didn't have to move back in with her parents because she couldn't find a job despite impressive credentials. Apparently, the life of a 17 year old unwed mother without the support of her parents is way less difficult and scary than that of a person in her thirties with a degree and pretty legitimate experience under her belt. Someone should have told me that earlier.

No matter how many times I laugh at the thirty-something gang, and no matter how endearing it is that Rory keeps insisting that she's not back, the jokes get old when you're looking real life in the face and wishing you were a freshman again.

Rory Gilmore is back, in Stars Hollow, without a real job, and we're all caught up in four little words. I don't know. Maybe it's just me. Maybe it's just my proximity to that part of my life. But either way, I'm freaking out.