The Hardest Kind Of Disappointment

The Hardest Kind Of Disappointment

The hardest kind of disappointment is when it comes from someone you care about the most.

16
The Hardest Kind Of Disappointment
Photo by Karim MANJRA on Unsplash

There is no disappointment more difficult to experience than disappointment from a loved one. When anyone disappoints you it sucks, but when it is someone you hoped never would, it is so hard to comprehend and then accept. I think one of the things that makes it so hard is when we forget that the people we love are not perfect and are capable of making mistakes; we tend to put our loved ones on a pedestal and that is unfair to them. Something I am beginning to learn is that the people I look up to and care so deeply for are just as human as me and are not any more immune to mistakes than I am. That does not excuse when they do something they said they would not or fail to do something I asked them to, but it makes it a little easier to understand. Being understandable does not mean that anyone should allow it to become habitual; if it becomes habitual then that person is not trying to fix the problem. If they are working towards fixing the problem and actually putting in effort towards a solution, be understanding.

I think the best thing to do when facing disappointment is tough love; that is what I have had to instill in the current situation I am facing. I am using tough love and reinforcing that I am being the way I am about it all because I care about them and want them to get better. I want them to be the best they can because I know they are capable of far greater than they are allowing themselves to be. It is very hard to be tough and it is very hard to not baby them because all I want to do is hug them and tell them that everything is going to be okay, but the problem will never be solved if some sort of discipline is not placed in action.

I am currently facing disappoint from a loved one right now and it is breaking my heart that I cannot fight this battle for them, but I also know that if I baby them, this battle will always be in control of them. Disappoint from a loved one is the hardest disappointment you will ever face, and I am in the midst of that situation right now.