The Feels

The Feels

Whose to say sight is your most important sense?

19
The Feels
Google Images

All that we do relies on our senses but which one would you claim to be the most valuable?

There are five senses total that we as humans have; sight, touch, taste, smell, and sound. It is said that when you take one sense away the others are heightened. Ergo if you are blind then your hearing, touch, taste, and smell are all heightened to help balance out the sense you do not have.

Scientifically it is found that sight is our most important sense because "we perceive up to 80% of all our impressions by sight" (why good vision...).

Personally, as much as that makes "sense" to me, (ha) I believe we have an extremely important sense that is tended to be overlooked and taken for granted. That is touch.

Whether it's petting your loving dog or fluffy cat, holding hands with your significant other, knowing what is soft, what is hot, what is rough, what is cold would be lost if we did not have touch.

Remember that feeling you get when you hear a beautiful singer share her ballad or when you watch something that scares you to your very core? Goosebumps would be none existent if we couldn't feel them and yet it is one of the very indicators that you've seen something, heard something, or even felt something really good.

Sight means you can see but if you can see and not touch then it is like someone holding something in front of you that you cannot have. To not be able to feel your child grab your finger or even feel a kiss given to you by your true love, it's cruel and uncanny.

But if you couldn't see you could at least touch, you could hold, you could feel your way around the unknown.

"If 'seeing is believing' what happened to taste, touch, sound and smell? Did our creator really intend to favor sight over the other senses? I don't believe so." - Alex Morritt
"Why Good Vision is So Important". Zeiss. Better Vision, 12 Feb 2012. Web. 8 Sep 2016.