The Best Progressive Rock Songs to Add to Your Summer Playlist

Yet another music article from yours truly. I've been on a prog kick lately, so enjoy these songs.

309
SacredGeometryUniversity.Tumblr.com

Progressive rock (also called prog rock or art rock) is a subgenre that was created in the late 1960s. It was created as "an attempt to give greater artistic weight credibility to rock music." Progressive rock typically employs more complex instrumentation, and it is not uncommon to experience unusual time signatures like 5/8 or 7/8 or key changes. Polyrhythms are a thing. Lyrical content delves into the philosophical or mystical. Progressive rock as a genre is diverse, since there are no musical boundaries. Experimentation is encouraged. Some progressive rock songs, in fact, stretch out to classical-style suites. Live performances combine music with visuals.

Bands like Pink Floyd, Yes, and The Moody Blues in the 1970s led to a rise in popularity for the genre, though the beginnings of punk rock in the 1980s led to its decrease. Neo-progressive rock and alt-prog have become popular again the past 2 decades. Progressive rock has also led to the creation of progressive metal, which employs similar complex techniques but in a heavier way.

I am of the opinion that there is a prog rock song for everyone, since the genre is so diverse. As a writer the unique sound provides the inspiration to keep my fire burning. When creating your summer Spotify playlists for after finals week, consider adding the following songs to your list. Prepare to be blown away.

1. Porcupine Tree - "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here" (Live)

2. The Mars Volta - "The Widow"

3. Coheed and Cambria - "Welcome Home"

4. Circa Survive - "Child of the Desert"

5. Good Tiger - "Where are the Birds"

6. Periphery - "Psychosphere"

7. Between the Buried and Me - "The Coma Machine"

8. Tool - "Jambi"

9. Muse - "Citizen Erased"

10. Opeth - "Porcelain Heart"

<span id="selection-marker-1" class="redactor-selection-marker" data-verified="redactor"></span>