Actually, Taylor Swift Is A Good LGBTQ Ally

Taylor Swift Is Making This June The Perfect Pride Month

Taylor Swift is doing the most for pride, and the whole world is here for it.

96

To start off the month, Taylor Swift created and posted a petition on all of her social media platforms through Change.org, to encourage her fans to support the Equality Act. She explains to her fans that the Equality Act, which protects LGBTQ individuals from discrimination, has been passed by the House but that the bill has yet to go in front of the Senate. The petition is a way for Swift and her fans to put pressure on the Senate to support the Equality Act, giving fair rights to everyone. If you haven't gotten a chance to sign the petition, you can find it here.

Not only did Swift create this petition on June 1, but she also changed her profile picture on all of her social media platforms to contain a rainbow overtone, showing support for pride.

Next, Swift performed at Wango Tango, a yearly Los Angeles concert that is the unofficial start to the summer. Swift wore a beautiful rainbow outfit as pictured that, again, showed her support for pride and the community it helps to bring together. Swift also gave a speech at Wango Tango, encouraging listeners to sign the petition she had made and stating, "You know, a lot of my songs are about love and I just feel like who you love, how you identify — you should be able to live your life the way you want to live your life. You should have the same exact rights as everybody else," publicly taking a strong stance in front of the Los Angeles crowd.

Swift's released a new single, "You Need To Calm Down," on June 14th. Right away, it was evident that the song had political undertones, which Swift already has said in interviews would be the case with her upcoming seventh studio album, "Lover." The song features lines like "shade never made anybody less gay" and "can you just not step on his gown," which alludes to the LGBTQ community.

Her music video for the single came out on June 17th, and features celebrities openly part of the LGBTQ community such as Ellen, Laverne Cox, Billy Porter, and Hayley Kiyoko, with pride flags throughout the video and two men getting married with others rejoicing around them. Swift also closed out her video promoting her petition that she started at the beginning of the month, still encouraging her fans and viewers to stand for equality for all.