Taylor Swift And Her Maxed-Out Victim Card

"America's Sweetheart" has a lot of explaining to do.

54
E!

Taylor Swift has been writing songs about her “good for nothing” ex-boyfriends since the beginning of her career. It’s what has built her brand and made her into the artist she is today. She’s been known as “America’s Sweetheart”, a Southern Belle, someone who’s down to Earth and just wants to be a normal girl with a normal life. However, since her release of Red, it’s becoming increasingly obvious that America’s sweetheart is far from it.

Taylor has been pulling out her victim card and showing it to everyone who’ll look since the beginning of time, and for a while, it worked. She’s been seen by everyone as this poor girl who can’t find love and who gets stuck with boys who break her heart. As someone who was a pretty big fan of Taylor after the release of her first album, I was on her side for the most part. However, in late 2012, Taylor and Harry Styles had a tiny fling that barely lasted three months and ended with something less than a fizzle. In fact, Harry didn’t seem too bothered about the break at all.

(This is Harry in 2013, mere hours after his breakup with Taylor was announced via the media)

Now here we are, almost four years later, and Taylor is still milking that relationship. She’s made countless videos about him (using jewelry that fans can relate back to him), dedicated almost an entire album to their relationship, and has mocked him live on TV in front of millions. Despite all of those things, he’s been nothing but kind to her and hasn’t said a bad word about the girl. This entire façade has opened my eyes in the best of ways.

There’s been tons of boys in this same position as Harry, like John Mayer, Jake Gyllenhaal, and Joe Jonas. Taylor has even as went as far to write songs about the girls her boyfriends dated long after she was gone, like Katy Perry and Camilla Belle. She’s been disgusting, writing lyrics like “she’s better known for the things that she’s done on the mattress”. How anyone could view this woman as a “sweetheart” is beyond me.

On Sunday, Kim Kardashian released a set of snaps that exposed Taylor Swift for exactly who she is: a two-faced liar.

Kayne West wrote a song called “Famous” which referenced Taylor Swift and how Kayne made her famous. In Taylor’s Grammy speech this past year, she made it clear she didn’t approve of the song by saying “There are going to be people along the way who will try to undercut your success or take credit for your accomplishments or your fame”. However, Kayne recorded a phone conversation with Taylor previously where she heard the lyrics, approved of them, and then talked briefly about how she’d enjoy telling the press she was in on the process.

In short, Taylor approved of the lyrics after hearing them, pretending she didn’t like them and trashed Kayne on television, then tried to paint herself as the victim when everything was exposed on snapchat by Kim Kardashian.

There’s no ignoring that the lyric is gross and misogynist. The song goes “I feel like me and Taylor might still have sex / Why? I made that bitch famous”. Taylor wants to argue that Kayne is assassinating her character in the song, but in the phone call that was recorded she states “There’s not like one [line] that hurts my feelings and one that doesn’t”. Hmm okay.

Taylor Swift’s victim card has been maxed out for quite a while now, but she’s used it so much that everyone is starting to open their eyes. Kim Kardashian did nothing more than put the final nail in the coffin. Taylor is threatening to sue the couple for recording the conversation without her approval but, honestly, the damage is done. She can write as many posts on Instagram as she wants, she can sue the West’s, and she can continue this charade as the victim if she wants, but now everyone knows she’s a liar and it’s going to be a pretty big sting to her career.

Honestly, it’s about time.