Taking Care of Yourself During Quarantine

It can be difficult to adjust to all of the sudden changes, but here are a few simple tips for taking care of your mental health while in quarantine.

53

Staying at home for extended periods of time can be difficult for extraverts and those with mental health issues. I personally have struggled with my mental health throughout the COVID-19 quarantine, and I know a lot of others that have struggled to stay positive in the midst of all this uncertainty. So, here are my tips for taking care of your mental health while you're stuck at home.

Settle into a new normal.

Getting into a set routine can really help with adjusting to staying at home. If you're a college student like me, spring semester ending left my days without any real structure. I used to make my daily schedule around my Zoom/WebEx class meetings, but I still plan out my day and try to wake up at a reasonable time even though classes are over. Keeping a schedule can make your day seem more normal, and taking control over the little things in life can help ease anxiety during all of this uncertainty.

Journal or Meditate. 

If you're working from home, it can be difficult to separate work from the rest of your daily life. Over the past few months at home, I struggled to find a balance between work and other aspects of life. If feelings of stress and uncertainty are starting to get to you, try to set aside some time for yourself every day. Meditation can be a great way to process your feelings and de-stress. Journaling at the end or beginning of each day is another great option for expressing and processing your feelings.

Stay in contact with friends.

It's easy to lose touch with friends, especially college friends, when you suddenly don't have the opportunity to see them every day. If you're feeling lonely and miss your friends, remember that you can always send them a quick message checking in on how they are doing. Though you may be physically separated from your friends, you can still keep up these important relationships over the phone.

Take a walk.

Staying physically active is an important part of feeling your best. If quarantine has taken away your motivation to work out, you are definitely not alone. Taking a walk is a simple way to get fresh air and to stay active, even if you don't have the motivation to work out.

Don't feel guilty for being human. 

COVID-19 has dramatically changed human lives internationally. You may feel guilty for missing the gym, eating junk food, and/or turning in assignments late. You may feel unmotivated or lonely. That's completely understandable. It will get better, but things are different and strange for now. Don't beat yourself up!