Why You Should Subscribe To A Book Box

Why You Should Subscribe To A Book Box

Do yourself a favor and improve your life for just $30 a month.

66
Why You Should Subscribe To A Book Box
Hypable

In the early spring, I subscribed to Uppercase, a Young Adult book subscription box. Once a month, for just under $30, I receive a signed YA book – one that has come out that month – and a collection of swag related to either books in general, or that month’s book.

I was skeptical at first, as I know the particular brand of YA I prefer to read is not the only kind of YA. However, I decided to give it a chance, and it was an absolutely fantastic decision.

I’m big on reading, but during the school year, I don’t have a lot of time to read anything beyond what’s required for class. This is always frustrating for me, as I’m the kind of person who will read a book on New Year’s Day just to start the year off right. No matter how often I went to the school library, or checked out audiobooks and e-books from my local library, I never found the time to finish the books I’d started. Even books I purchased on pre-order sat on my shelf, unread, until the summer.

This year, however, I get a book in the mail once a month. I have decided not to purchase books beyond my subscription, and dedicate my free time to reading my Uppercase book.

As a result, I found slivers of free time throughout my day to read September’s book. I read while I ate breakfast, while I waited for class to start, and in the parts of the day where I simply needed a break from my other work, just for a little while. Suddenly, reading was a part of my life again, despite my busy school schedule.

I didn’t just get my affinity for reading back, though. I got some amazing, high-quality down time. I learned about my craft without having to remember all the small details for a class or write a paper afterwards. I was able to physically relax, and to unwind all the stuff going on in my brain that piles up as the semester trudges on.

Beyond that, I also got excited about getting things in the mail, because let’s admit it: mail is always exciting, especially when it’s a fun treat.

I know Uppercase isn’t for everyone, since its specialization is Young Adult books, and that’s not every human being’s kettle of fish. But worry not! There are so many different genres of book subscription boxes, it’s almost astonishing. A simple Google search will pull up ample options for your own preferences.

So if you’re the kind of person who wants to work reading back into your daily routine – and everyone should want to, because reading is beautiful, and keeps your mind sharp and healthy – then do yourself a favor and look into a book subscription box.