To The Struggling College Student, It's Only Going To Get Worse

To The Struggling College Student, I'm So Sorry, But It's Only Going To Get Worse

Or is it?

695
Magnolia Pictures

I have been struggling a lot this past month or so, both mentally and physically. I haven't been sleeping well, and I've just felt a lot of never-ending stress.

I have bronchitis and a sinus infection. I am currently wearing a back brace because I sprained my back from coughing too much. It's a challenge to study and do schoolwork without feeling spaced out and completely unmotivated.

Classes have been overwhelming me with so many different essays and exams, and it's making me wonder if all the struggles are worth it. It was getting hard to look at the positive side of things.

Have you ever heard of Murphy's law? Well, it's an idiom that states anything that can go wrong will go wrong.

Murphy's law may look like a pessimist's view on the world, but it definitely has some truth to it.

I didn't really know what Murphy's law was until I was sitting in my professor's office talking about how I was frustrated with everything going on around me and how I felt so out-of-control.

Instead of the basic "Hang in there, it'll get better" speech like I thought would get, he read me the definition of Murphy's law. He told me that if I focus on the negatives, I am causing more harm than benefit.

This is how Murphy's law comes into play. If you are too busy focusing on the bad parts in life, you will begin to search for the negatives more than positives. You start thinking "Why is this happening to me?" instead of "There is a reason this is happening to me."

Basically, because you are so busy finding negatives, you overlook the positives, which isn't good for anyone. Also, I'm definitely not trying to say that if you're sad, you should just try being happy.

Getting to a positive point in your life takes time and effort. You can't just wake up every day and say, "I am going to happy today," because that mostly never works.

The point of this tangent is that there is light at the end of the tunnel. You just have to take your sunglasses off and look for that light. It will get better once you let yourself believe that it will.