Let's Stop Trying To Change In The Name Of New Year's Resolutions

Think about it, why do you really do it? More importantly, when has it ever benefited you?

16

I hate New Year's resolutions. Honestly, they are vapid empty filled promises that we make to ourselves simply because we feel like we have too. What is the point of that? So, we can look back next November and feel disappointed in ourselves that we didn't stick to the "New Year, New You" philosophy that is shoved down our throats every year? No thank you.

Now, I'm not saying that every individual doesn't have room for improvement or personal growth. However, there is a difference between wanting to do something to better yourself for you, and doing it because society is making you feel like you have to.

Real talk here, I could think of some things I need to work on this coming year, but I can also think of many things that I want to stay just the way they are. Going into 2018 really isn't going to change that much. We all like to pop champagne and rally into this concept of "The New Year" when that's all it really is, a new year. A new set of 365 days that can make or break us. Secret reveal, nothing changes between December 31, 2017, 11:59 p.m. to January 1, 2018, 12:00 a.m. beside the year we all write at the end of a date. So, can we all please stop pretending that because the clock strikes midnight that all of our problems won't be our problems anymore? Because guess what? In 2018, all we can be promised is that more problems will come.

I promise this is not being a Debbie downer, I'm a very glass half full type of girl, but all of this is just reality.

All I'm saying is that maybe instead of making these fake pressure driven promises to ourselves, we can take a step back and ask ourselves why we're actually doing them.

Maybe instead of trying to change things about ourselves, we can try to change the world.