Democrats Need To Stop Bloomberg's Dangerous Campaign
Currently

Bloomberg's Campaign Isn't A Joke, It's Very Real — And Very Dangerous

Though he's a late-comer to the presidential race, this does not mean we should write off the threat he poses.

70

Right now, it seems Bernie Sanders is doing fantastic and has the most momentum on his side thus far. Iowa and New Hampshire have both shown us that Bernie's message of solidarity and radical change is resonating with thousands and thousands of voters across the country.

As we approach Nevada, it looks like Bernie is poised to win those caucuses given the latest polls (knock on wood, of course). And as this post goes up before the debate, I'm sure we'll see not only see a good show by the senator but also see attacks amped up against him.

Those attacks are probably going to come from Joe Biden, Amy Klobuchar, and Pete Buttigieg, Bernie's main moderate rivals, and maybe even Elizabeth Warren, who had a tough showing in the first two contests.

But what distinguishes the Nevada debate is the entry of a new candidate previously unheard in Iowa and New Hampshire: financier, media mogul, and former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

You may have seen his ads all over social media and TV. He is like that guy who ghosts you on Tinder but you constantly run into him in real life or some other function. He is like that guy on some old commercial you remember seeing every day as a kid and ask yourself today, "What happened to him?"

OK, enough of the metaphors. The point here is that Michael Bloomberg as the Democratic nominee would be disastrous for our country. And I say this in fairness, considering his campaign has started smear campaigns against Bernie Sanders.

It's only the tip of the iceberg when it's worth mentioning that Bloomberg is a longtime friend of Donald Trump.

But it's also worth mentioning Bloomberg's horrible and damning record when it comes to presiding over the controversial "stop-and-frisk" policing program as mayor of New York City.

"So, one of the unintended consequences is people say, 'Oh my God, you are arresting kids for marijuana that are all minorities.' Yes, that is true. Why? Because we put all the cops in the minority neighborhoods. Yes, that is true. Why did we do it? Because that's where all the crime is," Bloomberg said in 2015. "And the way you get the guns out of the kid's hands is to throw them up against the walls and frisk them."

Stop-and-frisk is a whole conversation in itself, for it leaves unspeakable scars on so many people of color and continues the narrative that many of them are "thugs." This kind of fear-mongering of black and brown folks is not the kind of candidate we need to defeat Donald Trump.

The upcoming presidential election should not be a contest to see who can "out-racist" each other on the debate stage. We need a candidate that can beat Trump without scapegoating the most vulnerable in this country.

When I say we need a candidate that can fight fire with fire against Trump, what I mean by that is that we do that with an iron fist of compassion and solidarity. Bernie Sanders's campaign is the only one in this race that has a broad coalition of working-class people, poor people, LGBTQ, black and brown folks, and everyone else in between.

Michael Bloomberg's campaign is, in fact, the complete opposite.