Staying Hydrated

Hot Cocoa, Apple Cider, And Coffee Are Great But Don't Forget To Stay Hydrated This Winter With Some H2O

It's a lot easier to stay hydrated in the summer but it's even more important in the water

322
https://unsplash.com/photos/uDM99xirqI4

I've heard most of my life that a person should be drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day. Your body is made up of a lot of water, and your organs need it to function properly. I do drink a lot of water, but I know I don't always get as much as I should. I honestly just don't think about it. I don't intentionally make myself thirsty. I mostly drink water when I feel thirsty, even though that is not the best method. You should drink even if you feel like you do not need to. When you feel like you should, you really need to.

For me, it is easier to stay hydrated in the summer, especially when it is really hot outside. Nothing is better on a hot summer day than a glass of ice water. Whenever I did marching band especially, I drank a lot because I did get really hot both in uniform and in practice. It's like the sweat was a reminder to replenish all the water my body had lost during that amount of time. Whenever I don't drink enough water, I notice I get slight headaches and my lips are dry. This is typically what happens regardless of the season.

Winter isn't always like that. The temperatures have dropped and it is so cold outside. Water is a lot less appealing than a hot cup of apple cider or hot cocoa. When my hands are freezing, I would much rather wrap them around a hot mug than a cold glass. I also really enjoy hot drinks regardless of the snow and howling wind.

While winter drinks are not terrible, they definitely do not hydrate you as well as water does. Pop definitely does not hydrate either. Drinking too many sugary and carbonated drinks can cause your body to become drier, which could lead to sickness. I know some people who work as EMT's and they have had multiple cases of people passing out in the heat due to either not drinking enough period, or drinking too much of the wrong things.

As I mentioned before, I enjoy all things hot cocoa, apple cider, and coffee. It is okay to drink these things, but make sure you are also getting properly hydrated. I try to drink a glass of water and a cup of coffee in the morning. That way I am still being hydrated, along with having a cup of liquid gold.

There are also all kinds of water bottles out there and DIY crafts with a gallon jug to help monitor water intake. There are also various phone apps, such as Plant Nanny, that help measure the water that's been consumed in a day. In Plant Nanny, you have a plant that you water whenever you drink a glass of water yourself. Just like any plant, if you don't water it often enough, it dies.

While I am not perfect in this by any means, I do believe the importance of drinking enough water. It is especially crucial when you think you don't need to or it may not be as convenient. I hope this might give someone some insight on how they can best improve in this area because we all need it. Happy hydrating!