State College To-Do List Before Winter Chill Sets In

Winter is coming, and so is seasonal depression, so get outside and enjoy the sunlight before it's too late!

4

As many of us Penn State students know, winter is coming. We've all experienced the drastic change in temperature here and the seasonal depression that tags along with it. So before the weather changes for the worse, take advantage of being outside and the beauty that is State College.

Visit the Arboretum

The Penn State Arboretum is a peaceful and tranquil place designed to show off the wide range of beauty in nature. From Childhood's Gate, that leads you into a trail of various different plants, caves, and musical instruments, to the large fountain overlooking campus, the Arboretum can be the perfect place to sit and take in all that nature has to offer.

Personally, I know that it can be a bit of a far walk to get to the Arboretum. But one afternoon, my roommate and I finally did it. We ended up walking throughout all of campus, soaking in just how incredible Penn State is. When we finally arrived at the Arboretum after a long walk and conversation, my roommate and I both felt this overwhelming sense of peace as soon as we stepped foot onto the trail.

I highly suggest visiting the Arboretum before being stuck inside due to the weather. The plants are gorgeous to look at, there are multiple places to sit and relax, and the walk with a friend can be very therapeutic. Not to mention, the staff has decorated the Arboretum completely for fall, with pumpkins, squash, gourds, and mums placed everywhere.

Hike Mt. Nittany

While I haven't done this yet myself, I've seen pictures, and they look incredible. Placed just a few miles off campus, Mt. Nittany can be seen from anywhere on campus and truly an iconic feat to complete while being at Penn State. Before the leaves fall to the ground for winter, hike the trails and soak in the abundance of color the leaves have to offer.

Hiking can be a great form of exercise to release some stress, as well. Not to bring up a sore subject, but we've all experienced being stuck inside for way too long this year and unfortunately the weather is going to be the reason for it again pretty soon.

So go hike Mt. Nittany, burn off some stress and tension, take lots of pictures, and then look back on the pictures when you're feeling a little bit of cabin fever this winter.

Walk Around Campus/Downtown

I know this seems pretty menial and not exciting at all, but trust me when I say, it will give you a sense of freedom and nostalgia. With classes being online, many of us don't get to experience the simple task of walking to class on campus. Normally when classes are in person, walking to class is a hassle and we're all in such a rush to get there, we never stop to appreciate just how unique Penn State's campus truly is.

Now that we have the time to walk a little bit slower through campus, take in how gorgeous the wide red brick sidewalks are by the HUB, or the huge trees with leaves of red and orange overcasting the streets, or the unique structure of each individual building.

Walking around downtown can also get you out of your dorm/apartment for a solid chunk of time. The variety of stores and restaurants is never-ending. So go downtown and grab coffee from a new cafe, visit a new store you've never been into before, and enjoy the sunlight while it's still there. Plus, just getting out and about is so beneficial for mental health.