Spread Love This Valentine's Day

Spread Love This Valentine's Day

Love Unites, Love Wins; Do Not Be Bitter This Valentine's Day.

14
Spread Love This Valentine's Day
Juliana Mamani

One of the worst/best holiday is coming up- Valentine's Day. This holiday is either very depressing for some, or one of the best days of the year for others. I am here to change your mind in hopes of making your Valentine's Day as special as it should be.

Let's start with a little background: Saint Valentine's Day originated as a Western Christian Liturgical feast honoring Saint Valentinus. He was apparently imprisoned for operating weddings to people who were forbidden to marry. Historians say that Saint Valentinus healed the daughter of his prosecutor and on the day before his execution, he wrote her a letter signed, “Your Valentine”. Later in the 18th century, people in England started to express their love for one another by writing letters, giving each other flowers, etc.

Growing up, Valentine’s Day was such an uplifting happy day in our childhood lives. At my elementary school, we were required to give every student a Valentine’s card if we wanted to, just so no student was left out. I always loved going to Target or Walmart to buy some sweets to show my classmates how much I appreciated them! I took Valentine’s day cards very seriously, I would pick specific cards for certain people in my class. I remember feeling so happy receiving all the gifts from my friends, and I was somewhat upset when realizing that stopped in middle school. I still bought my friends some chocolate and cards, because I wanted them to know i loved them. Yet middle school is also when the bitterness towards Valentine’s Day kicks in, because everyone is gossiping about whether or not they got a secret admirer or a card from their crush. This is when the insecurities kicked in, because some people never received any love from their crush on that day.

It amazes me how influential society is to every human being nowadays. Social media has taken over our lives and basically makes a picture of how everyone should act in order to receive attention. Around this time of year, you can find posts of people hinting at what they want their loved ones to get them on this special day. You can find posts of couples being in love and expressing it in simple ways, but society makes them a big deal. Nowadays if you are not in a relationship, you are often viewed as lonely and depressing- which should not be the case. Ladies, just because you don't have a man does not mean you are not capable of being in a relationship. Your Prince Charming just has not met you yet. Gentlemen, not having a girlfriend does not make you any less of a man. Both of you need to grow individually in order to be in a relationship! Therefore, do not let others ruin your Valentine’s Day.

February 14th is a day about love, it is not a day solely for couples. You can express your love to your family, friends, pets, employees, and teachers. This is a day to remind your loved ones, that you love them. This is not a day to sulk and cry about being single. It is completely okay to be single, embrace it! Buy your mom some roses, give your dad a big old hug, spend time with your grandparents, go out with your friends, give your teacher an apple, give your dog a bone and your cat some string,or say hello to random strangers on your way to class/work. There are so many things you can do to show some love on this day, do not waste it!

This day is all about spreading positivity and smiles. Due to recent political events going on worldwide, everyone needs to spread some love. We need love now more than ever. Love unites, make sure you are apart of it this year.