Speak Up America! Speak Up!

Speak Up America! Speak Up!

Elle Woods had it right.

13
Speak Up America! Speak Up!
Fan Wang

We all have had our go-to comforts: food; silence; music; exercise; movies; or one of each depending on what we needed growing up. Recently, the iconic lines have been somewhat drowned out and now I find that I refer back to the "hidden gems."

For example, what seems to pop up in my head is the simplest line of "Legally Blonde 2." Do judge me; it is perfectly normal to binge watch the two movies. I digress. At the end of the movie, when Reese Witherspoon is making her grand speech to try to get Congress to vote on a law she is working on, she decides not to make her prepared speech but ad libs. She tells Congress that she wants to talk about something that is near and dear to every American's heart. The next words out of her mouth are: "My hair."

Naturally, that comment draws laughter from the audience and almost discredits her. But she goes on to explain how she got a hair cut and color and it went horribly wrong.

Why?

She forgot something that I think we all tend to forget about. Our voice; we forget to speak up. Funny how I say this in the time when we have protesters, petitions and social media where everyone has a voice. Congratulations to us all. But do you know how to use it?

Don't get me wrong, cat videos are hilarious. I personally am a sucker for anything featuring an otter. But all of that has no substance. What about when you are sitting in class, a meeting, a job that is maybe just a stepping stone, but you sit there. Silent.

Silence in our age group is far too common, we depend on social media to give us our interactions. We then get together with friends but end up on our phones, watching television or playing video games. We end up having a conversation with a screen rather than the person sitting beside us.

It takes four times the amount of time interacting with someone via social media, texting, Internet or even having them sitting next to you, but your attention is on the screen in front of you, to develop the level of intimacy or closeness that you would have if you focused directly on that person.

How is this affecting your friendships? Your relationships?

Did you know its National Parks and Recreation month? Why not forget going to a movie, go to the park! Go fishing, go biking, rollerblade! Spend quality time away from your screens and with your friends. Ironic how I say that at the end of an article that you just read on your computer or your phone. But did you at least think about it?