5 Foods That The South Does Better Than Anywhere Else

Pass the biscuits and gravy, please

6
Photo by Alex Munsell on Unsplash

One of the things the South does best is cooking. For many families, it is like a rite of passage, a way to prove that we are now worthy to be considered an adult. Furthermore, we love to eat, and many parts of our lives center around eating. When we gather for holidays, we have piles of food. When somebody dies, we take the family a casserole, and any self-respecting Southern Baptist knows that if the church is having a special service, there has to be a potluck. With all this cooking going on, it was inevitable that we would perfect our craft. The South has some of the best food in the world. These are five of them that we do better than anywhere else.

1. Barbeque

To clarify, I am talking about smoked meats like pork, chicken, and brisket, not hamburgers and hotdogs. Southerners refer to the cooking of the latter two as grilling. If you psyche us up for barbeque, and we get their and see hamburgers and hotdogs, we will be highly disappointed. Barbeque has become a staple in the South, and it is one of those foods that is easy to change up and make it unique to you. Many states have taken advantage of this and put their own special twist on it. Alabama has tomato-based and white sauces, Memphis is known for its dry rubs, South Carolina uses a mustard based sauce, and Texas specializes in beef such as brisket. We take our barbeque so seriously, we have driving trails dedicated to the dish. That's how you know it's going to be good.

2. Seafood

I know that some people will try to contest this because New England has lobsters and crabs, but it's hard to get any better than gulf seafood. Seafood is a thriving business for the coastal regions of states like Florida, Lousiana, Mississippi, and Alabama. Some people take vacations to the Southern coast just to eat the seafood. Shrimp, amberjack, mahi mahi, flounder, and grouper are just a few types you can sample.

3. Biscuits

I went to Seattle once and had a biscuit at a restaurant. I don't know who told those poor people that was a biscuit, but it was not a biscuit. It was hard and crumbled to pieces. Southerners know a good biscuit is soft and fluffy on the inside. It's alright for them to shed crumbs, but they shouldn't be so dry that they fall to pieces when you bite into it. Everybody's grandmother in the South makes the best biscuits, and try as you might, you will never be able to fully replicate them. I think it's because of the love she puts in them.

4. Steak

When you think of steaks, you think of Texas. It has developed its reputation as the beef capital of America for over 200 years. Cowboys herded cows to and from Texas in the 1800s to ship all across the country and continue to ship steaks all over the world. It was only fitting that they also perfect the art of cooking them.

5. Fried Chicken

You can't beat southern fried chicken. The crispy crunchy outside and juicy meat on the inside has made it a beloved dish across the country. It was perfected, however, in the South by combining a frying technique brought over by the Scottish and spices brought over by Africans. Now, even in restaurants outside of the South, the dish is referred to as southern fried chicken. If you go to any restaurant or event in the South, it is almost 100% guaranteed that fried chicken will be served.