older sister advice

To My Younger Sister As You Get Ready To Leave High School, I Am So Proud Of You

Before you step out into an unknown world, I have a few pieces of advice that I need you to know.

234
Tessa McLamb

47 days. There are 47 days left in the year 2018. For you, this means, 47 days until you reach the last half of your year in high school. 47 days until you can finally say this is your year to graduate; a time you have looked forward to forever.

As exciting it is to be finished with the place you've known for four years, it's also overwhelming. You're entering a new part of your life, a life you've yearned for but don't know the reality of. I realize that you'll finally be entering a world you know nothing about. Of course, I'm not an expert. I've only been doing my thing for the last year in a half. But during that time I've learned. I've seen a lot and learned even more. Before you leave the nest, diminishing your adolescence, there are a few things I want you to know.

Before you graduate, I want to let you know that I love you.

I know you're not the "mushy" type but you're going to have to accept my love in full. I'm so thankful to have you as a sister. You are my best friend. You have never let me down, never let me wither the storm alone. I'm thankful that even though we're sisters, you chose me to be your friend. I'll always love you for that. No matter what direction you choose to go or which path you choose to walk on once you step out into the real world, I always want you to remember that I love you and nothing in this universe could change the love I have for you.

Before you graduate, not only do I want you to know that I love you, but I want YOU to love YOU.

I know the difficulties of not believing in yourself and not having realized your worth yet. But before you step out of those high school doors forever, I want you to realize worth. I want you to believe in yourself, know that you're amazing! I won't lie, the world is cruel and people don't get nicer.

People don't always have kind words and people don't always want to see you win, so they'll tear you down. But what I need from you is confidence SO strong that no one can ever make you question yourself. You have got to believe in yourself. All else aside, I want you to love you just for the simple fact that you deserve to think you're amazing.

You are amazing. You're beautiful, bright and talented. You're hilarious. You're one of the greatest people I'll ever get to have in my life. Own who you are. Before you graduate, please realize how awesome you are. Once you know it, no one in this world will be able to tell you otherwise.

Before you graduate, Selina, I want you to know how proud I am of you.

No, this isn't advice, but it is the last thing I want you to know. As the years have gone on, I've watched you grow from a quiet kid, to a beautiful young woman. I'm proud of the choice you're making to follow mom and dad's footsteps and go into the Army after school.

It's something I could never do but you can and I'm so proud of that. I'm proud of you for finally being able to say you did it, you got out of there! I just want you to know before you graduate that despite the adversities and challenges of the last 4 years, I'm proud you made it out bigger than any of your struggles. I'm proud of you for being this much closer to a new chapter in your life.

In 47 days, you'll be in the last semester of high school forever.

Before you graduate, I want you to know that life has so much to offer. In 47 days, you'll be halfway there to finding out.