Why You Should Always Shoot Your Shot
Lifestyles

Why You Should Always Shoot Your Shot

You miss 100% of the shots do you don't take

400
Why You Should Always Shoot Your Shot
Photo from Instagram

We live in the generation of "shooting your shot," so why are people so afraid to take risks? Imagine a world where we all approached every aspect of our lives by channeling the bold energy of someone sliding into another person's DM. Maybe then we'd all be living our best lives.

People always tell me I'm one of the ballsiest people they know. I suppose this is probably because I'm willing to risk it all and have no shame. So I'll often tell my friends that the moments in my life that required the most courage have ultimately led to the greatest rewards. I take these bold risks knowing that maybe it could have some miraculous outcome. Of course there is always some risk involved, but you know never know until you try.

It’s important to know that I wasn't always this person. In fact, not too long ago, I was insecure about almost anything and everything I did. But through the years, I've begun to implement the sacred practice of self-reflection into my daily routine, which has led to me having a deeper understanding of why I might sometimes hold back. Fear of rejection or fear of failure tend to be among the most common reasons why someone may not take a risk. I've come to understand that this notion of fear is absolutely unreasonable. As humans, we are simply capable of too much to hold ourselves back because of baseless reasoning. You don't actually know how it will work out until you shoot your shot. For every risk I've taken, I certainly had my fears, but in the end, it's always been worth the gamble.

And so, what if you shoot and you miss? If it doesn't go as planned, you laugh it off. Or you learn something. Or it leads to some transformative experience. At the very least you have a new story to tell. This past year especially, I've begun to recognize the beautiful growth that can result from just going for it! On far too many occasions, I've held the ball in my hand but stopped myself from throwing it, or typed the message out but never sent it, or just simply didn't believe I was capable of accomplishing something despite having all the skills and resources to do so; and honestly, that is no way to live.

So recently, I've decided to shoot my shot in every possible way. Shooting shots comes in many shapes and sizes. It's about climbing out of a familiar space and taking risks I never would have imagined taking, seizing every opportunity and living my life through trial and, inevitably, error. Occasionally you'll shoot too high, or maybe too low, but every now and again you'll shoot the perfect shot. You'll not only get what you're looking for, but oftentimes, you'll discover something much greater. Maybe it's self-knowledge, or a deeper understanding of yourself or your surroundings. Maybe it's a newfound confidence, a new friend, or a new experience that ultimately becomes part of your story. Through this process of reaching past the horizon, delving into the unknown, talking to new people, and not being afraid to do anything—you'll grow in ways you never thought you could. So whether it's messaging that person, or telling the bad joke,go out there and shoot your shot.