Do Away With Shame: Be Your Best Regardless

Why do people shame others for things they enjoy?

32
Livingnow.com

There has been a time in everyone's life that they have been shamed for something. It could be their body, their taste in music, the types of movies they enjoy, or if they prefer to stay in or go out on Friday and Saturday nights. My question has always been why. Why would we, as fellow individuals with our own likes and dislikes, shame other individuals for their personal tastes?

I have a few theories, but ultimately it all comes down to who the person who is doing the shaming is and how they see the world around them. Some people believe that their opinions and preferences are the only ones that really matter because it is what they like, so they go against others who may disagree with them. It is a hard situation because they do not believe anything is wrong with their actions even though they can make others feel uncomfortable, embarrassed and upset about what they are interested in. No one should ever be silenced because someone else does not like what they have to say. As human beings we each have the right to believe what we want and enjoy things that make us happy and that we personally connect to.

So what do we do about shaming?

Ignore it, talk about it, do not change because of it and do not do it to others. If you like country music, but a new friend likes metal you should not feel like you have to change to fit in because they should like you for who you are already. Do not sacrifice an interest or passion because someone else cannot see why you enjoy it so much-- the point is that it brings you happiness and it interests you, so you keep doing what you do. And if anyone comments on your weight and says something negative about your shell you must simply lift your head up and remember that you have so many unique things about you that make you interesting and beautiful no matter what. Confidence is key in every situation that you find yourself being shamed by someone else.

You are amazing and deserve all of the happiness that this life has to offer. Never let anyone else get in the way of your personal dreams or your happiness.