Secularism May Save American Politics

Secularism May Save American Politics

Why we should consider secularism in our government

2
Secularism May Save American Politics

I was gonna call it quits.

But then we elected someone who actually believes walls work and his VP believes electroshock shocking gays actually makes people straight. It was then that I realized that I had a shit ton of work to do.

So I am gonna propose something radical. Something that may save the United States from becoming a cesspool of stupidity and ignorance. I propose that we should purge our government of any and all religious ideologies and influences.

Now already I can hear conservative Christians wail, "This is religious persecution! Muh freedom of religion!" First of all, calm down. This benefits you guys in the long run.

Now I want you to read our First Amendment Right: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." So just by that religion and government aren't supposed to be mixing. But every where I see it's "God in our Government! Jesus first and God will watch of our nation!" And it shows: according to the Pew Research Center "Most Americans have consistently said that it is important to them that the president have strong religious beliefs. And a new Pew Research Center survey finds that being an atheist remains one of the biggest liabilities that a presidential candidate can have; fully half of American adults say they would be less likely to vote for a hypothetical presidential candidate who does not believe in God, while just 6% say they would be more likely to vote for a nonbeliever." I have to point out that it hasn't really gotten us far recently. It is has though that because Christianity is the most popular religion in America, people assume that we are a Christian nation. The First Amendment is begs to differ.

Getting rid of religious influence would pretty much protect all religious rights. Including those of Christians. As a statement from the National Atheist Party proclaims "The thing Christians do not understand is that our fight is not against Christianity; our fight is against the push of any religious agenda and influence in government. However, in America, this typically plays out and is perceived by the religious right as a fight against Christianity, but this is simply not the case." Secularism would prove to protect the rights of all not just the religious majority.

If you want a good look at what a theocracy will do to the states, look to Iraq, Iran, and Bangladesh.