The House Might Pass Another Stimulus Bill And College Students Are STILL Not Getting Checks
Currently

Instead of parents receiving only $500 for every dependent in their family, they would receive $1,200 per family member and up to $6,000 per household.

8751

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and the House Democrats have drafted up another coronavirus (COVID-19) stimulus bill that would eclipse the first as the largest economic stimulus legislation in U.S. history.

This bill, sized at approximately $3 trillion, would include a revamping of direct payments to Americans. Instead of parents receiving only $500 for every dependent in their family, they would receive $1,200 per family member and up to $6,000 per household.

It also establishes a "hazard pay" program which, according to AP, "creates a $200 billion 'heroes fund' that would provide a 'hazard pay' supplement for essential workers such as first responders, health care workers, sanitation workers, and those at businesses required to stay open."

While it is a step in the right direction, the bill — similarly to the previous one — does not provide money directly to college students or young adults who are still claimed as dependents on a parent's or guardian's tax return. Instead, it allocates that money to the parents of the students and young adults.

So, while the money is calculated based on those dependents, it does not get sent directly to those people.

Yes, a new stimulus package would be a step in the right direction — especially since countries like Canada's have been so robust — it does not directly assist students who might not be in great communication with their parents, are not emancipated from parents, or anyone that is being claimed as a dependent.