I Won't Stop Being Catholic Because Of The Catholic Church's Scandals
Christianity

I Am Aware Of The Scandals, But This Cradle-Catholic Girl Will Stay With The Church

No, I am not crazy. As a cradle-Catholic, I have grown into a Church I didn't fully appreciate until recently. Now, this Church is more supportive in strengthening my faith than ever before.

784

It is nothing new that the Catholic Church has discovered scandals within it. As someone who went to a Catholic school from pre-school years through my senior year of high school, I can strongly say that I won't break my tie to the Catholic Church and will continue to practice what I believe.

Some say that going to a private-Catholic school may brainwash me or keep me in a bubble. To some extent, you could be right. I don't have the same experiences in witnessing as many cultures and religions as I might have in a public school. That doesn't mean non-Catholics didn't attend the schools I went to, I certainly had classmates that weren't baptized. Granted, there was not a lot, but there were some and it reminded me to not live just inside the Church.

I was a part of a dance studio that broke my "Catholic bubble," as are most students. They find a way to stay connected to city sports teams and drama departments and educational groups so they have a school group and a community one as well.

The same goes for when I moved to a public college. I found groups within the university but also within my nearby parish.

Although I am not being taught directly what each scandal is about and how to help any lost soul within a classroom, I am seeing how it affects other communities and different parishes.

I am seeing what other religions and communities are saying and some comments leave me in awe. Priests are being thrown hate when they meet with a student casually at a coffee shop. The outside community and some Catholics are seeing harmless actions and intentions as threats and inappropriate.

I remember being in high school, and following Sunday evening mass, we went to youth-group. Once youth-group ended, some would head to a coffee shop down the street, and the leaders and priests would occasionally join. I found no harm and not once was uncomfortable during our outings.

I recognize that not all situations are laid out the same as mine and there are instances when a Priest has gone into the dark and done the unimaginable. But should we punish the whole Catholic church and teachings for this? Should this bring hate on to ALL priests and religious leaders?

Imagine it in this way: there is a teacher or coach (of any sort — you pick in relation to your life), and that leader or role model does what some Priests are being uncovered to be guilty of. Does this mean you will never play that sport or learn that subject in school? No, most likely not going to happen. You'll find a new coach or teacher but you will stay with the school or athletic department unless other factors prevent.

As mentioned in a recent article I shared, going into 2019 allows for a new idea of being more open-minded. On this path, we can start small by recognizing everyone is their own person. Although they appear to be grouped into similar ideas or images, each person creates their own path and ideas.

This new resolution can be practiced with the idea of other religions, political views, social issues, and any other ideas argued upon.