Dear Freshman Self
Education

Dear Freshman Self, A Lot Is Going To Happen, So Just Live In The Moment

What advice would I have given myself freshman year of college? Hindsight is 20/20.

152
Sarina Gersten

Dear Freshman Sarina,

You are about to leave home for move-in weekend. You're worried; you've never lived away from home before. I can tell you that everything will be fine. I promise.

Now, a little over a year later, I'm writing to you as an almost second-semester sophomore.

Please never forget...

It is not as scary as it may seem.

Yes, you have never lived away from home. However, you are completely capable of this new challenge. You will realize how much you love it here.

You will switch your major multiple times.

I know you said you would never switch from marketing, but after realizing what marketing entails, you will decide you are more interested in finance. You may have vowed to never have a career in math, but your experiences in your freshman math classes will say otherwise. Then, sophomore year, you will take an accounting course and love it so much that you will switch again to accounting. Who would ever have thought you'd follow in your parents' footsteps?

You will learn so much about yourself.

You will learn that you need more than a day to study for exams. Stressing about things that you won't remember in a year is pointless (but you'll continue to do it anyway). You'll learn that when you're exhausted, a morning shower is the way to go. You'll learn that breathing when you feel like you're going to freak out is the move, and nothing is ever as bad as it seems.

Don't freak out if the people who you think will be your lifelong friends end up disappointing you.

You will make other incredible friends who can make you laugh until you cry. You will meet people in the craziest of places. Never forget that everything you do is an opportunity for something amazing to happen.

Don't forget to thank your amazing friends for all that they do for you.

Thank them for listening to you rant about your test or forcing you to do an exercise class. You wouldn't be who you are without them.

You will apply for countless positions that you won't get.

You will get discouraged, but remember that each failure brings you one step closer to achieving your dreams. Some things really aren't meant to be, and that's okay because something so much better is always coming along.

Remember life is a balance, and it is better to study for one less hour and take care of yourself.

Going off that point, exercise. You will thank yourself later when you don't want to die when you run a mile. Walk places. The bus is faster, but using your legs will make you stronger.

Don't buckle under all of the stress. College is not supposed to be easy; however, you are more than capable. Remember what is truly important. Do not aim for perfect; aim for happy.

Go out and have fun.

Yes, study and participate in extracurriculars, but you only live once. Do you want to look back on college and have regrets? The answer is you don't. Say yes if your friends ask you to hang out. You will get your work done. Have some fun.

Do something dumb? That's OK.

Those experiences typically make the best stories. Look back and laugh at yourself (and life for that matter). Never take yourself or life too seriously. This too shall pass. Just make sure to learn from your mistakes.

Be bold. Have confidence in yourself.

If you weren't afraid of failing, what would you do? Now go and do those things. Always wanted to write a book? Actually write the book. You are capable of achieving anything to which you set your mind. So, dream big.

Remember it's okay to put yourself first sometimes.

Not everyone is worth the time you give them. Stop caring what everyone else thinks. When you finally stop worrying quite so much about everyone else, you will be so much happier. You will find yourself sticking up for yourself more and will feel so empowered.

Do not stop being you.

It really does not matter what anyone else says. Do not stop being kind. Do not give up on your dreams. Everyone is different for a reason. Being the same is no fun.

Finally, remember it will all work out.

And if you forget, call Mom. Or ask a friend who will never let you forget that life has a funny way of being okay.

I promise that even though you are so unsure now, you will find yourself in college. You will start becoming the woman you are meant to be.

Laugh, cry, smile, and most of all, enjoy life. Let your life happen, but don't let it pass you by. Live in the moment.

Love,

A much wiser Sarina