A Response Letter To Trump's Transgender Military Ban

When did we decide that our national profession was telling someone how to live their life?

22
The Forward

When did we decide that our national profession was telling someone how to live their life? When did we decide that because of the way that someone feels in their body they were invaluable to society? And how does their life suddenly become a "burden" to yours?

What I don't understand most is how back in June of 2016 you made promises to the LGBTQ community and claimed you would fight for their rights. You even went so far as bad mouth your opponent and tell the community how she would only take their rights away.

Now a year later, here we stand and it seems that the only person they should have been worried about was you. As if that wasn't obvious from the beginning.

You have made promises to so many in our country and yet you are continuously breaking them. As our president, you are supposed to fight for equality. You are supposed to grant us our freedom. You are supposed to support each citizen because that is how a country works. By tearing apart one community and banning them, you are only inviting discrimination and hatred into this nation.

What I especially don't understand is that if someone is willing to fight for our country, our lives, and our freedom, then why does who they are besides that matter?

This might be a bit cliche, but really what matters is who they are inside. Obviously, if they're willing to sacrifice themselves for you, then they should be granted access to do so. Although, at this point I don't think anyone should sacrifice themselves for you. Why does who they identify as even matter, though? Both women and men are allowed in combat now, are they not?

This is purely an act of discrimination and it is, quite frankly, unprofessional and dehumanizing. Instead of helping to build and unify our nation, you are only adding to the problem. You are only creating larger cracks in its foundation.

For you to claim that you are doing this purely for economic purposes is an embarrassment. It is just another lie that you've told the American people and for you to think that you could actually fool us into believing this is an insult to our intelligence. If you were worried about money, then let's take a moment to talk about how the spill from the Dakota Access Pipeline (that you so badly whined for and promised wouldn't be an issue to our environment) cost forty million dollars in property damages and clean-up services.

Oops. Or how about how your trips during your first days as president cost about twenty million dollars just so you could travel to your private club and golf with friends? Obviously, today's announcement is not because of government spending.

Fortunately for you, the transgender community has always found a way to remain strong, so this setback will just be another small obstacle. I know that working together, they will be able to overcome this and fight back. I just hope you're prepared and I hope you realize the consequences of your actions. Remember, every action has a reaction.