New Year's Resolution To Not Care Whether Or Not You Like Me

Sorry, but we aren't here just to please everyone else, so it's time to stop feeling like it.

46
pixabay.com

I'll admit it, it's never fun to find out that someone doesn't like you. But.. it happens. Whether we like it or not, it's just one of those unavoidable things in life.

Whether it's peers, colleagues, acquaintances, friends, more than friends, or anything in between, it sucks. When we put all of our efforts into molding ourselves into a likable person only to find out that someone doesn't like you, it can be heartbreaking. The truth is we shouldn't care, but we do.

Sometimes that's a good thing because we all know that nobody is perfect and sometimes it takes someone not liking you to uncover a flaw in yourself that needs to change.

But honestly, I'm beginning to learn that not everyone in this world is going to like me and sometimes I can't help that. So, there's no point of wasting my precious time and energy by trying to get someone to like me when we have a difference in opinion or lifestyle or morals and it's simply just not going to happen.

Every single person is different and that is a beautiful and amazing thing. Why would you try to change yourself to be someone you're not just to please others? Remember that you have an identity outside of trying to please everyone you meet. It is okay to try to make others happy as long as you remember to stay true to who you are and to love yourself as a unique individual.

Our love should come from within and not from being liked by everyone we meet. Trying to be liked by everyone is something that is only going to stretch you in a million different directions and leave you exhausted. Maybe the less we try to get others to like us, the less disappointed and crushed we will be when we find out that they don't.

So say no a little more to preserve your own sanity, say yes a little more to self-love and the things that make you, because you are special and you are loved by many for the person who you truly are.