I Refuse To Vote

I Refuse To Vote

And I am sorry about it.

9
I Refuse To Vote

(Note: I fully intend to complete the rest of my ballot and leave the presidential section blank.)

Since the third grade, I have looked forward to November 2016. We took a political survey that would tell us what year we would finally have the opportunity to vote for president, and that was what I got.

Now, I am very glad that as a third-grader I did not have the right to vote, because I likely would’ve voted for Nick Jonas, or someone of the sorts (he isn’t even an eligible candidate today!)

Nevertheless, I have been excited to finally have a say in who runs this country I love so much.

I tried to watch the debate last week, and got a headache part way through and had to turn it off. I am fed up with the ridiculous nature of this election.

It is with a heavy heart that I have made the decision to not vote for president this upcoming election season.

Yes, I should exercise my right to vote.

Yes, no voice is a vote for the “enemy,” whoever that may be.

But as a Christian in this world, I cannot vote for any candidate with a clear conscious.

“Fill in the blank.”

“Third-party candidate.”

Right now, I do not have faith in anyone to run this mess of a country. I don’t see a leader in today’s world that can meet the needs of a majority of Americans.

I should not have to pick the “lesser of two evils” on an election ballot.

As a Christian, I pray every day for the United States of America. I have faith in the Electoral College to keep the “lesser of two evils” out of office.

Back in the fall of 2015, I made a promise to myself that if Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump were my presidential candidates, I would not vote.

I cannot fully support either candidate, nor can I fully support my prior third party candidate of choice, because others have talked me out of “wasting a vote” that would be a “vote for the enemy.”

I know having a voice is important.

I know voting is important.

As a citizen of the United States, I should be voting.

I am sorry.

But I am unapologetic for staying true to myself. I am withholding my vote because my faith lies elsewhere this election season.

I hold my morals and values too close to my heart to vote for someone who will not treat this wonderful country the way it deserves. We are in a dark place, and we need to see the light.

Pray for this country. Pray for leadership. Pray that God’s love will infiltrate this nation and this world. Pray for love. Pray that His will be done.