​11 Reasons Why Peer Leadership Was The Best Time of My Life​
College

11 Reasons Why Peer Leadership Was The Best Time of My Life

I was able to go to places that I have never been to before. It also gave me a new perspective on the peer leaders because I never knew more about them until that program brought us all together.

92
Armaan Jayanth

When I was a senior at high school, I did peer leadership as an extracurricular activity. It was very fun because I was able to do things that I have never done before.

1. Meet different people

Peer leadership had a summer project where the peer leaders and I have to hang out with each other. The minimum is 12 peer leaders. I had a fun time with them. I was able to go to places that I have never been to before. It also gave me a new perspective on the peer leaders because I never knew more about them until that program brought us all together.

2. Golfing

One peer leader took me out to golfing with his girlfriend at Monster Mini Golf. It was my first time there and my first time playing golf. Golf was very fun! I do not mind coming back here to golf again. I even won in the first try!

3. Pool party

One peer leader invited all peer leaders including myself to her house. The first time was very fun because there was a pool party. It was fun splashing people and spraying the hose on the male peer leaders! I also had fun throwing the ball on the male peer leaders as well.

Another peer leader invited all peer leaders to his house before graduation. We had another pool party. This time, I kept splashing one peer leader. As payback, he carried me and made me jump in the pool with him! It was very fun! I never had a guy do that to me before, but it was a risky move! Despite the risk, it was still a very good experience.

4. Camp with friends

During the fall and winter, the peer leaders and I had to go to Camp Bernie. It was very fun! We stayed overnight and did a lot of physical activities. For example, I never held on to a rope before. I had to swing myself to safety. During the winter retreat, it was very icy. We were slipping as we walked. We even have to hold each other's hands as we walk together. One funny incident was when one of the peer leaders played tagged with me. I was going to throw my glove at him, but I slipped and fell on the ice. Even though it hurts, it was still a very good experience. Then, we have our own talent show and that was very fun as well! I never danced in a whole performance before.

5. Teach freshmen

Our main job in peer leadership is to teach life skills to the freshmen so that they will become better people throughout their lives. We had a very fun time with the freshmen. We did a lot of activities with each other and that was an unforgettable experience. Hopefully, the freshmen will always remember us!

6. Play with students with special needs

Not only do we give fun to the freshmen, but we also give fun to students with special needs. There were some days when we will play activities with them. As we played the activities, they were enjoying it! They really like to spend time with us. They even brightened us with their effort and vibrant personalities. The teachers who taught the students with special needs observed us and they enjoyed the fun that they saw. They were also grateful to us for giving their students an experience that they will never forget.

7. Funny conversations

I learned new ways of communication. These new ways make me sassy and funny. One example is when a peer leader told us that "Black Panther" was a very good movie to watch. I replied by asking him, "Is it better than 'Pink Panther?'" He looked at me and replied, "Of course it's better than 'Pink Panther,' Amber!" The peer leaders laughed after he said that.

8. Bowling

There was a time when we went to Bowlero during the winter storm. As I was bowling, the ball slowly hit the bowling pins. The peer leaders were like OMG and said, "Amber, you got to make the bowling ball go quicker!" Just as it was about to hit the pins, they said, "Wait for a minute." Then, BAM! It turned out to be a strike. The peer leaders reacted, "Good job, Amber!" Later on, some of the peer leaders pressured other peer leaders to make their bowling balls go faster, but their bowling balls went into the gutter. They reacted, "Look what you did! You made me go to the gutter!" Other reactions were screaming and punching the sofa. We all laughed when we saw the reactions. I really had a fun time there.

9. End of the year party outside of high school

Our teachers that led the program held an end of the year party for us at Camillos before graduation. The food was good and the conversations were great! We took pictures with each other and gave each other a hug. We also gave a hug to our teachers as well. They were both awesome! Those were the good times!

10. Time management

Usually, I put academics first before extracurricular activities. However, senior year was when I really tried to manage time for both. I quickly did all of my assignments, so that I can hang out with the peer leaders. I was able to make time for them and still do well with my classes. Sometimes, people need a break from academics.

11. Say my full name

I told my peer leaders about how I got my name from my parents. My full name is Amber Nian Chai. Next thing after that, everyone started to say, "Amber Nian Chai!" I never felt so touched. No one has ever said my name like that before.

I thank all the peer leaders and teachers for giving me the best time of my life. Senior year will not be the same without you all.