Opinion: Trump And The Republicans' Supreme Court Hypocrisy
Currently

If It Wasn't Right For Obama To Fill A Supreme Court Vacancy In An Election Year, It's Not Right For Trump To

It can't be right only when it helps your party.

1118

Ruth Bader Ginsburg had barely been dead for 24 hours before the "who will replace her" talk started. Less than two months out from the 2020 election.

To be honest, this shouldn't even be a debate. This shouldn't be a rule we bend and break based on our party politics. If we don't historically nominate and confirm someone in an election year, this shouldn't be any different.

Something that is super powerful in today's day and age is sticking to your word. I don't understand how in 2016 it was OK to delay and push back on any attempt President Obama made to fill a Supreme Court vacancy, but now, in 2020, even closer to the election, it's suddenly OK to go through the whole process in less than two months.

Only standing up for something when it's convenient for you doesn't show good character or concern for the people, which should be your main job when working in a public service based role. It shows self-interest only, which isn't a good look for those supposedly serving the public and the people.

Republican Senator Susan Collins of Maine actually stood up to the situation stating, "Given the proximity of the presidential election... I do not believe the Senate should vote on the nominee prior to the election. In fairness to the American people, who will either be reelecting the president or selecting a new one, the decision on a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court should be made by the president who is elected on November 3."

That's putting the American people first, putting their interest and what is right for them, which is quite literally your job in that sector, above the fact that you may really want a Supreme Court judge who represents you and your views.

But, she's right.

A lifetime appointment is a big deal, and when there's a very real possibility that our president could be changing in just a few short months, that should be taken into consideration, as the wants of the people may not align with the current president. A lifetime appointment of a judge from someone who may be voted out of office in a few months is a big slap in the face to the public.

If politicians want to do their job and actually serve the public, they'll hit the pause button until we, the people, tell them what we want in November.