Ruth Bader Ginsburg Has Passed Away, And My Feminist Heart Is Breaking
Currently

RBG Just Passed Away, And My Feminist Heart Is Breaking

Her fight for women's rights makes me want to step up and join in, too.

1507

In case you haven't heard, The Supreme Court has announced Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's death due to complications from pancreatic cancer.

My feminist heart is just so heavy right now with this news of her passing. Ginsburg was the reason that I became a feminist and the portrayal of her in the movie "On The Basis Of Sex" gives me goosebumps every time I watch it. (And, yes, I will be re-watching that movie again as a way to honor her.)

If you're unfamiliar with everything this amazing woman has done in her career, let me give you a little refresher. Ginsburg fought for women's equality and gender discrimination, as well as co-founding the Women's Rights Project at the American Civil Liberties Union ACLU. Ginsburg also served as a Supreme Court justice, nominated by Bill Clinton, and remained on the court until she passed.

Ginsburg was a fierce champion for women's rights, and it's because of her belief in fighting the good fight for women's rights that America has come as far as we have in terms of how we legally treat women.

RBG was a personal hero of mine, and I'd been following the news of her declining health regularly, so it's been quite a punch in the gut to hear that she's no longer with us.

But, let me be perfectly clear about one thing — just because she's gone doesn't mean the fight for better treatment of women, and everyone, is over.

This actually fuels my feminist heart to keep pushing forward even more so. The news of her passing makes me want to research and see what petitions I can sign, where I can go to volunteer and how I can do my part to help better the lives of those treated unfairly. Everything I've seen, read, and heard about Ruth Bader Ginsburg reminds me that she always fought for the underdog, and her passing makes me want to stand up and do what I can to continue that fight.

Her passing reminds me that even if the odds seem to be against you, you still have a fighting chance when it comes to standing up for what's right and for making the choice not to back down.

Maybe if you're reading this, you'd like to join me in doing just one small thing, such as finding a petition to sign for a cause you believe in or safely protesting what you see as injustice, or anything that you feel will make an impact on this world that we live in.

From all I've seen, read and heard about RBG, I think she would approve of this civic-minded action. May she rest in peace and power.