10 Punk Rock Covers Of Famous Pop Songs That Are Better Than The Original

Imitation is the highest form of flattery, and these covers of mainstream pop songs will be sure to stick in your head and demand to be replayed again and again.

327

I have been a music lover since before I could speak, and would always be dancing and singing along to a tune from a young age.

Fast forward to high school, 2010. I fell in love with what some may call the "screamo" genre, but what is otherwise known as Punk Rock. I spent many nights replaying song after song from some of my favorite bands such as Pierce the Veil, Bring Me the Horizon, Sleeping with Sirens, and A Day to Remember, just to name a few. I was constantly striving to find new songs that spoke to me and my inner "emo" soul that was begging to be freed.

Fast forward to present day 2019, and as a 22 year old college student, I STILL turn to these bands and this genre every single day, because I have found it's the genre that continuously allows me to feel connected to not only the sound of the music, but the lyrics. I think having a connection with musical genres is important because it creates a space to find your own identity in the world. Now I may be biased based on my love for this music genre, but I believe that Punk Rock bands make some of the best covers of popular mainstream pop songs.

Ever get sick of hearing the same song over and over again on the radio? Well never fear, because here are 10 Punk Rock covers of these overplayed pop radio hits that give the song a whole new life and feel. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

1. "Since U Been Gone" by A Day to Remember

A cover of Kelly Clarkson's 2004 smash hit "Since U Been Gone/" A Day To Remember's version is from their 2007 album, "For Those Who Have Heart."

2. "E.T." by Dead Silence Hides My Cries

A cover of Katy Perry's 2011 hit E.T. from their 2010 album "The Wretched Symphony."

3. "Over My Head (Cable Car)" by A Day to Remember

A cover of The Fray's infinitely popular song "Over my Head (Cable Car)" from A Day to Remember's 2010 album "Attack of the Killer B-Sides"

4. "In My Head" by Mayday Parade

Mayday Parade's cover of Jason Derulo's popular hit "In My Head." This song was featured on the Fearless Records 2010 album release of Punk Goes Pop Volume 3 featuring various famous punk bands covering popular (at the time) mainstream pop hits.

5. "Glad You Came" by We Came as Romans

A cover of The Wanted's "Glad You Came."

6. "F You" by Sleeping With Sirens

Sleeping With Sirens's cover of "F You", originally by Cee-Lo, featured on Punk Goes Pop 4.

7. "Paper Planes" by This Century

This Century's cover of M.I.A's song "Paper Planes" from Fearless Records 2010 album "Punk Goes Pop Volume 3"

8. "Heartless" by The Word Alive

The Word Alive's cover of Kanye West's infamous hit song "Heartless."

9. "Somebody That I Used to Know" by Mayday Parade

Mayday Parade cover of "Somebody That I Used To Know" featuring Vic Fuentes of one of the punk rock bands that means a lot to me, Pierce The Veil. This hit song was originally performed by Gotye featuring Kimbra. This song was featured on "Punk Goes Pop Volume 5"

10. "I Knew You Were Trouble" by We Came As Romans

You don't have to be a T-Swift fan to head bang to this epic cover of her hit song "I Knew You Were Trouble" by one of my favorite bands, We Came as Romans.