Pulse Nightclub Will Be Turned Into A Memorial For Victims Of The Shooting
Currently

Gone, but never forgotten.

24

At 2:02 a.m. ET on June 12, 2016, a gunman entered Pulse Nightclub in Orlando, Florida and open fired. The shooter, Omar Mateen, was killed at the scene by responding police officers. 49 lives were lost that day, making this the deadliest mass shooting in the history of the United States. On top of the 49 lives lost, 53 people were wounded.

The massacre was a hate crime against the LGBTQ+ community. The Orlando Massacre was also labeled as a terrorist attack, making it the largest act of terrorism in the United States since 9/11. Mateen had called 911 during the attack and proclaimed his unity with ISIS. This was a devastating day for not only the LGBTQ+ community, but the entire nation.

The following afternoon, President Obama addressed the nation saying, "This was an act of terror and an act of hate."

Members of the LGBTQ community announced that this was one of the most tragic days for the community as a whole. Stuart Milk, related to Harvey Milk, referred to it as one of the darkest days for the LGBTQ+ community.

Nearly five months after the shooting, the mayor of Orlando, Buddy Dryer, has announced that the city of Orlando will be taking control of Pulse Nightclub in the near future.

Dryer said that it is important for the city to take control of the site to ensure that the victims of the massacre are properly honored. While there are no specific plans for the space as of yet, Dryer says that the structure of the memorial will be based on community input. For now, the site will remain as is, allowing those that want to visit the site time to see Pulse Nightclub as is.

In a video posted to Dryer's Twitter account, Dryer says, “It [Pulse Nightclub] has great significance not just for the LGBTQ+ community and for the Hispanic community, but for all of us that live and love Orlando."

The Orlando Sentinel reports that Rosario Poma, owner of Pulse Nightclub, has recently signed an agreement to sell the club to the city of Orlando.

The club is being sold for $2.25 million and still needs to go through the City Council. The agreed upon price is approximately $600,000 more than what the property is currently valued at. The entire process is expected to take about a year or more.

"This location is now a permanent part of Orlando's history, it's the site of the most tragic event that has ever occurred in the City of Orlando," said Dryer

Pulse Nightclub has been empty since the shooting. People from all over have come to pay tribute to those who lost their lives that day and this tribute will put the abandoned club to good use. It will serve as a way to remember the victims of the shooting and a sign of hope for the LGBTQ+ community. While the event is tragic and heartbreaking, at least one positive thing will come of it.

While the nation is currently divided over the results of the presidential election, it will be nice to see honor and support for the LGBTQ+ community.