Why I'm Proud To Be High Maintenance

Why I'm Proud To Be High Maintenance

Because knowing what you want is not a bad thing

308
Why I'm Proud To Be High Maintenance
http://www.petronellarisita.com

The term high maintenance almost always has a negative connotation. People often associate the term with being super needy, selfish, and snobby. However, I beg to differ. As someone who has been outed as "high maintenance" countless times I have finally come to realize that I am proud about this quality. Being high maintenance means I am an opinionated woman who is willing to work for whatever she wants until she gets exactly that. Outspoken women are often viewed negatively in society but why should I feel a need to compromise my views, goals, and aspirations, to fit into a world that is just starting to recognize the importance of gender equality?

Over the years, I have had many situations where I felt bad for only eating at particular restaurants or spending money on weekly manicures but I have come to realize that there is no reason to feel bad for any of that. The fact that I take pride in myself and put in a lot of effort to look presentable shows I care about myself and others. It demonstrates my desire to be both polished and productive. Confidence is one of the best qualities in a person, and I think one of the biggest keys to confidence is doing things for yourself and not feeling guilty over it. It is so important to love yourself, treat yourself, and go after what you want. It doesn't mean I am pushy or selfish, it means I am strong-willed and driven.

In past relationships guys have been put off by my "high maintenance" ways but I don't feel a need to be apologetic. I know what I like and what I don't and I don't need to settle for anything below my standards. I enjoy and expect to go out on nice dates and be treated like the princess I am. I'm not going to make time for someone who isn't also putting in the same amount of effort. If being high maintenance means having a strong sense of self worth, then that's fine by me.

And it's not all about self presentation or boyfriends. Being high maintenance means I am motivated to go after every opportunity life offers me. It means I want the best for myself in every aspect of my life and will do whatever it takes to be successful. I put a ton of effort into my health and workout regularly and eat super clean. I also work super hard at school to maintain a 4.0 GPA. It doesn't matter how impossible a challenge looks because nothing can stand in the way of a high maintenance girl. High maintenance people put in 100 percent effort all the time, so if they want something, best believe they are going to get it.

So if you are considered high maintenance, take pride in that. The world needs more opinionated, outspoken, and motivated women. Never feel bad for knowing who you are. Life's too short not to enjoy every moment and to put yourself first.