'pronoun' Releases Her First EP

'pronoun' Releases Her First EP

And it's pretty damn good.

17
'pronoun' Releases Her First EP
Pronoun
“pronoun to me is a person following through with venting her heartache despite her fears of showing her vulnerability. Alyse's songs at the core, have all the shades of heartbreak but they have a smile due to her pop sensibilities.” -Steve Vealey

Drawing inspiration from Death Cab for Cutie and others, pronoun's There’s no one new around you is not your typical breakup EP. A compilation of bass, electric guitar, drums, voice mixing and overlay combined with dark lyrics provide a realistic view into the head of a 20-something girl as she goes through a breakup.

“pronoun is me in the corner of my room drinking a PBR and smoking a cigarette." Says Alyse Vellturo who operates under the band's name sake, pronoun.

Growing up in a musical family, pronoun played the piano until she was about six and decided to switch gears to sports. Continuing to play sports until her teens, at 15 she stumbled upon Dashboard Confessional and has been playing music ever since.

"I found Dashboard Confessional and I picked up my guitar and began writing my own songs in my living room on a microphone." She tells me.

But pronoun's music making stopped when she was attending Berklee College of Music studying Music engineering, production and business. After working in the music business for four years a breakup inspired her to start writing and recording music again.

"She played me demos of the music I would hear late at night from down the hall. I was instantly stuck by her sensibilities and the vulnerability she showed. I knew I had to be apart of it, it was relatable on an immediate level. " Says Steve Vealey, a musical engineer for Michael Brauer at Electric Lady Studios, freelance mixer and roommate of pronoun.

As a 20-something girl going through her own breakup, when I read pronoun's lyrics and listen to her songs I find them wholeheartedly realistic.

In pop-culture today artists like Adele and Selena Gomez paint beautiful images of a post-breakup lifestyle and reflection but pronoun shows the raw and true window into the heart and head of someone hurting.

Catch Pronoun at the Brooklyn Bazaar on January 20 and Watch pronoun's new music video for "a million other things," her favorite song off of the EP here.