five minutes early is late and ten minutes early is on time.
Education

How to be professional in 19 tips

Five minutes early is still late; try ten minutes early.

162
How to be professional in 19 tips

Since I have been in college, my brain has been completely filled with ideas on how to act more professional and look more professional.

I have sat through lectures upon lectures about the many ways of professionalism - the do's and don't of the workplace, as I would call it. My mind has been filled with tips on how to have the perfect interview, be the greatest employee that the company has ever seen, and how to get through workplace predicaments. Honestly, it can all be so overwhelming. I'm about the be a junior in college and I am not going to lie, I could feel the future coming closer by the second. I am positive that I am not the only person who feels this way.

So, I am giving to you my list on the best tips to present yourself in the most professional manor. After all, we're all looking for our perfect dream job and the only way that anyone of us is going to achieve that dream job is being professional!

1. Five minutes early is late and ten minutes early is on time.

2. Firm handshakes are a must.

3. Remember body language! The crossing of the arms could insinuate defensiveness. Don't do it! Make eye contact. Do not slouch!

4. Show enthusiasm about the work. No one wants to higher someone who is always negative.

5. Go beyond what's expected in the workplace.

6. Acknowledge the dress code. Also, the color navy blue is seen as the color that makes job candidates look the most professional. Try wearing it for an interview.

7.When writing anything, check your grammar.

8. Hold a professional attitude. Do not gossip about other employees. You should also praise others for their accomplishments.

9. Manage your time. Stay on top of deadlines.

10. Ask questions. Remember that no question is stupid. It's better to ask a question then know nothing at all.

11. Be reliable.

12. Be honest.

13. Constantly work on your skills. There's always new things to be learned.

14. Allow your job to let you grow as a person. Having a new job can open up many different doors and perspectives for a you. Let yourself experience everything.

15. Follow the cultural normalities your workplace may hold. This means that you should take notice how your coworkers act around employees, talk on the phone, and the many ways they distribute information.

16. Take notes. Take notes when in training for a job, during discussions, or whenever you learn a new skill. Every time is a good time to take notes.

17. Separate working life and private life.

18. Watch what you say on social media. I know that we all use social media as a platform to discuss our views or to post pictures. But not everything you post will look good to your employer. Don't let a post cost you your job.

19. Keep your desk and paperwork organized. It would be terrible if you lost important documents. Also, if you are working with clients then you cannot afford to constantly look through your work in order to find the correct documents.