Pride Month May Be Over, But I Will Not Stop Fighting For Equal Rights

Love is love.

40
nydailynews

June has officially come to end, meaning the end of Pride Month. But, as an ally, it doesn't mean we can just sit back now and let what continues to happen to the LGBTQ+ community continue. Just because Pride is over doesn't mean we, as allies, can go back into our glass houses and pretend everything is okay. Now, more than ever is the time to speak up, stand up, and doing something. Ensure that your friends and family are safe, protected, and most importantly respected as human beings.

Now is the time that we can wrap our arms around our friends and let them know that no matter what, we will be there. We will make sure that kids don't get bullied for their sexuality and be there to make sure there is inclusivity. Just because Pride Month is over, it doesn't mean the fight is over. We have to keep standing up for those we love. Stand up for love. People should love who they love and one month a year isn't enough to make an impact on the world. Pride brings so many beautiful people together, but now is the time to get s*** done. Now is the time to make sure that the members of the LGBTQ+ community know that just a month to celebrate who they are isn't enough. They deserve every second of every day to be proud of who they are and who they love.

We are all human beings, and we've come a long way in the past 10 years. There have been many victories so far, but we still have a long way to go. I will be there standing with you –– standing beside you. I will continue to vocalize my support every day. Not just in June. We can't forget all the battles fought for this community and think because there's now marriage equality that the battle is over. It's not over. It won't be over until trans rights are seen, acknowledged, and respected. It won't be over until people are seen as humans alone and not just as their sexuality.

Pride month was beautiful –– a celebration. But, we can't just stop fighting because June is over. Their rights ALWAYS matter. Every day they matter and I will never sit down and be quiet at the expense of my friends and family in the LGBTQ+ community.