An End To An Era: Pretty Little Liars Says Goodbye After Seven Thrilling Seasons

“How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”
7

Freeform’s wildly popular teen drama Pretty Little Liars aired its final episode this week after seven amazing seasons filled with countless mysteries and plot twists that kept fans on their toes.

Pretty Little Liars was about a group of friends who are stuck in an ongoing battle with an unidentifiable villain, “A”, who is determined to destroy their lives at a deadly cost. This show, while extremely fictional, also carries important life lessons that revolve around many important issues like bullying, drugs both prescription and illegal, and sexuality just to name a few.

Part of what made this show wildly popular was not just the fact that many people could relate to the characters, but also that there were so many plot twists and mysteries that kept fans guessing what would happen next. Everyone I know who watched the show, myself included, had theories about what was going to happen next and who “A” was. Thanks to the fabulous writing of the show and amazing acting by the cast, it was almost impossible for anyone to know what was going to happen in the next episode because there were endless possibilities.

Pretty Little Liars was a show that was able to touch the lives of many and that is why the end is very heartbreaking and emotional for many of its fans. As a huge fan of the show myself, watching the very last episode brought on the waterworks – especially when everything came full circle.

Without giving away any spoilers I can say that the final episode was able to answer every major question and the characters all ended up where they were meant to be. There was closure.

After the two-hour-long finale there was an after show featuring interviews with Troian Bellisario, Ashley Benson, Lucy Hale, Shay Mitchell, Sasha Pieterse, as well as executive producer Marlene King. These interviews are filled with tearful goodbyes to the “PLL family” this thrilling drama created these past eight years.

In an Instagram post, Marlene King wrote that on the last day of filming when she called “cut” on the very last scene, all the Liars were in the shot. During the interviews that took place on the after show each cast member touched on how important that final moment was for them. This show wasn’t just important to the fans but the cast members as well. As Shay Mitchell has said over and over again, “The streets of Rosewood will always feel like home.”

In season six and again during the finale, Pretty Little Liar Spencer quoted A. A. Milne, author of ‘Winnie the Pooh’: “How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good-bye so hard.” Towards the end of the after show some fans sent in videos about what Pretty Little Liars meant to them and this quote came up multiple times because Pretty Little Liars had the ability to make an impact on everyone.

The ending of this iconic show was heartbreaking and knowing that there will be no more #PLLDay (Tuesdays) is even more devastating. But the ending also offered closure not just for the characters as I had mentioned above but for the fans too. Many fans watched from the very beginning and it feels great to feel as if you were a part of the story and the family that Pretty Little Liars created.