Pop Music Is Dying Before Our Very Ears

Pop Music Is Dying Before Our Very Ears

Has the "Pop Era" wave officially died down?

852
Pop Music Is Dying Before Our Very Ears

2018 has been a great year for music in all genres but the genre that has taken over the radio and billboard charts was Hip-Hop. We've had artists like Cardi B, Drake, Travis Scott, Lil Baby, Post Malone, the list goes on and on. "In My Feelings" was one of the best songs of 2018, "Rockstar" became a car bop for every road trip, and Sicko Mode's lyrics became everyone's favorite caption to use this past summer.

media1.giphy.com

We've also had the Latin market continue to make way in the US as well. From "I Like It" with Cardi B teaming up with J Balvin and Bad Bunny to "Taki Taki" with her, Ozuna, DJ Snake, and Selena Gomez.

media2.giphy.com

With the emergence of new music, we also had a decline in the main genre of pop for a while now. We've had a couple of songs that became popular or viral for a month or so but haven't stuck as a top ten for the year. Pop music has been overshadowed by the wave of outside genre music to wear it's starting to die out. Hip Hop and R&B has taken over mainstream for the first time in years. You're probably asking how pop music dead? Pop music has been the same repeated content done in different voices and people have gotten tired of it.

But What About Taylor?

media3.giphy.com

Taylor was the designated pop queen but has suffered a decline in recent years due to bad publicity. Her album Reputation was good but came out at the wrong time. November 2017 is a far memory for many of us and a lot of people forgot her album is the sea of music we've gotten since then.

Well, What About Ariana?

media1.giphy.com

Though Ariana saved pop music this year, she's shifting her music to a more R&B vibe and sound. Her most recent songs, Thank U Next and Imagine, are evidence of a new era of Ariana coming our way.

What About Demi?

media0.giphy.com

Demi has shredded her title as a pop artist and become a multi-faceted artist. She's more of a soul vibe kind of artist and next year enters a new era from her as well.

We Still Got Miley Though Right?

media2.giphy.com

Miley does have new music coming out but not in the same pop range we're used to. Miley is revisiting her most popular music styles that were Country and R&B. She plans on revisiting the "Bangerz" Era in 2019 and it doesn't include pop in the game plan.

We now have a new generation of music where an artist who sticks with on specific genre of music is now evolving and singing in different sounds and styles like R&B, Latin, Country which is a good thing. Not only does it expand the music palette but it keeps them in the mainstream by going outside the musical box. Pop music has been the main genre for years but now it's time for a new genre to take the reins and pop music is dying out and a new wave of music is here to stay.