Politics Vs. Mexican-Americans

Politics Vs. Mexican-Americans

How can you be loyal to nationality and heritage?

4
Politics Vs. Mexican-Americans
Creative Commons

America is a country created from immigration that continues to grow every day. I, like many other citizens in this country, was fortunate enough to be American-born because of my great grandparents' decision to immigrate to the United States. Their decision paved the way for many generations after them to have the opportunity and fortune of that of the American people as citizens. However as a Mexican-American, there have been many difficulties I have had to encounter. I have lived a very short, and privileged, 19 years with supporting parents, but that didn't stop me from facing the realities that come with being Hispanic.

It started at a young age when I, like many other little girls, looked up to some of the many Disney princesses for comfort and inspiration. I quickly noticed that there wasn't a princess like me -- Hispanic. It confused me immensely at the time. I didn't understand why there wasn't a representative for me or my culture when there certainly was enough Hispanics with diverse heritages to make up the United States population. Unfortunately that was the main problem: representation, or the lack thereof, to put it in better perspective. There still isn't a main Disney princess with a Hispanic heritage to this day, and I've noticed that Hollywood isn't doing any better.

The Black Live Matter ideology is based on representation, and that is why they continue to win coverage on media outlets throughout the states. It has successful representation due to huge followings. Being Mexican-American doesn't erase heritage, yet it doesn't erase nationality either. I struggle with that concept each time I hear Donald Trump, a popular presidential candidate, explain his plan to completely block off Mexico and its people from ever coming to the United States unless they do so legally. If this plan was successful years ago, I, along with many other Hispanic families would not be here. But does that excuse the fact that immigration isn't always legal? Politics and morality do not always go hand and hand, and they continue to play into the difficulties of being Mexican-American.