The Lost Kids

Poetry On Odyssey: Here's To The Kids

They were just looking through the wrong lens; you were there.

38
https://unsplash.com/photos/7ktNKXWwz2w
Noah Silliman

Here's to the kids that nobody noticed.

You are valid, and you are loved.

Here's to the kids nobody would play with at recess, the ones who were told they had "cooties" nobody wanted to catch.

Here's to the kids who sat on the wall at recess and read their book in silence.

Here's to the kids who didn't look forward to lunchtime like everyone else because they knew they would have nobody to sit with.

Here's to the kids who were excluded from the coloring table because no one would share crayons with them.

You are valid, and you are loved.

Here's to the kids who either got picked last for soccer or didn't get picked at all.

Here's to the kids who got kicked out of the group gossip session by their "friends."

Here's to the kids who were always there but were treated as if they were never there.

You are valid, and you are loved.

Here's to the kids who never received candygrams on Valentine's Day in middle school while the popular kids bragged about not being able to carry all of theirs.

Here's to the kids who had to pretend they didn't care when they would give anything for a simple lollipop and a card from a friend.

Here's to the kids who didn't go to the first school dance because they had no one to go with.

Here's to the kids who no one asked why they weren't at the school dance.

You are valid, and you are loved.

Here's to the kids whose name was nothing more than a caption under a yearbook photo.

Here's to the kids who never got asked to Homecoming or Prom.

Here's to the kids who never went to prom.

You are valid, and you are loved.

Here's to the adults who have never been in a relationship.

Here's to the adults who got their degree before their first kiss.

Here's to the adults who believe that love doesn't exist for them.

You are valid, and you are loved.

I know it's hard to believe, but it does get better.

One day, they will appreciate the parts of you that others wished would disappear.

The right people are out there waiting for you, ready to embrace you for all that you are.

I see you. I'm rooting for you. I love you.