Poetry On Odyssey: The Girl He Never Noticed

The ones who are often overlooked, are often underestimated.

320
Via Unsplash

I was the girl he never noticed. I never wore high heels or short skirts like all the other girls.
I was the type of girl who wore black rimmed glasses and oversized sweaters. I was the type of girl who studied and copied down notes instead of checking their make up during class.

I was attached yet detached to a lot of things. I'm very observant but nobody ever noticed me. I liked to watch my fellow peers interact with each other. They were always so vibrant, filled with so much happiness.

I always wondered why I couldn't be like that...

I want to be carefree but my burdens and insecurities always weighted me down. They don't know how lucky they have it.

I'm the type of girl who likes to spend time alone, rather than party every weekend like the average teenager. I was also the girl who had a dumb high school crush on a boy that'll never like her.

How typical.

He was the boy that every girl dreamt of having, Nice eyes, well built and to top it off, he had a stunning personality to match. And his smile...Oh God, his smile. It was so beautiful. He could blind someone with those pearly white teeth of his. Of course, though, he was taken. But I promise you, I could treat him so much better than all these other's girls could.

But he never noticed me.

I remember one day, we collided in the hallway. I was so embarrassed and tried to apologize but he insisted that it was his fault.

After that day, He started to say hi to me, in the hallways. It was like a dream come true!
I was finally the girl that he noticed.

We started talking and hanging out after school. I thought it was going pretty well and I guess he did too because he asked to take me to the spring formal.

I was ecstatic! The boy of my dreams asked me, the girl who he never noticed before to some stupid dance.

That night, I made sure I to look my best. I spent hours, doing my hair and makeup. I had to look perfect, I had to look perfect just for him.

When I arrived at the dance, however, I was greatly disappointed. He was holding hands with his girlfriend, and behind him was the rest of the student body.

I stood there in horror as they all laughed and pointed at me. Some people were even recording on their cellphones.

Was this some kind of scheme? If so, how can people be so cruel?

Tears, stinging in my eyes, I ran out of the door.

I started thinking, "Why me? What did I ever do to these people to be treated like this?"

The girl who used to believe in happy endings when she was a little girl was long gone.

I changed not because I wanted to but because I had too.

I stopped doing everything that I used to do before and starting going through the motion day by day

I couldn't laugh the same anymore or smile the same. I just couldn't.

It hurt too much.

Betrayal is the worst way to destroy your happiness. Especially, if it was someone you trusted. Trusting someone may become difficult for some or easy for others.

But once it's broken, it's hard to fix the damage.

I stayed up late that night staring up at my bedroom ceiling thinking. A silent sob escaped from my mouth. I shut my eyes tightly and waited for sleep to overcome me but it never came.

I was beginning to wish that I was the girl he never noticed.