Pixar Set To Feature Its First-Ever LGBTQ Animated Character In 'Onward'
Currently

And Lena Waithe is taking the honor of the role in the new movie "Onward."

231

Pixar will feature its first-ever LGBTQ animated character will be voiced by Lena Waithe.

Coming off the back of Disney's first openly gay character in the live-action remake of "Beauty and the Beast," this is a welcome surprise for the LGBTQ community.

According to Slate, Pixar made no attempt at unveiling the character before launch, letting the moment be discovered by those watching the movie.

It's a great move to not capitalize on the exposure of a real LGBTQ character and instead allow her to be fully integrated into the Pixar world. It shows that what's important isn't the big headline that Pixar is finally bringing greater representation to a marginalized community, but that the LGBTQ community fits seamlessly into the Pixar world, and thus into our own world.

Like our world, the LGBTQ community isn't some kind of sore thumb that sticks out from the crowd. The LGBTQ community is humans cohabiting the world with everyone else. Pixar is giving a more accurate depiction of our world than if they were to try to capitalize on this from a marketing standpoint.

At the end of the day, we can only hope that more filmmakers will work to bring greater representation to their films without making a huge deal out of it. In that way, we can start to see films reflecting our lived experiences much more, and start to tone down the cash grab of having "diverse representation."